Wink Windows XP Pro does not reboot

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone has a solution. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running windows XP Pro. It runs fine but when shutting down will not turn off automatically have to use the power button to get it to shut down and if installing new software it will not reboot. After a while it will restart manually.

Also second question I have found that there is 40 gigs of space on my hard drive apparently used but cannot locate any programs using this space any ideas where to find that wasted space?

Thanks all for you assistance
    Last edited by nudistnorm; 01-27-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Spelling error

What is the exact model #

How long has this problem been going on?

What recent changes have you made to software and or hardware recently?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are quite a few reasons why XP just hangs at shut down, though mostly incompatible hardware/software is the culprit, as Zep points out. This site offers lots of possible causes and is well worth a look.

hi norm

The 40gb is just used space and you don't know what's using it? Or is it a separate partition?

If it's a partition, chances are that it could be the manufacturer's restore to defaults partition (where the operating system install file etc are hidden away).

If it's used space, it can be temp files, internet browser caches, system restore files etc. you can clean things up a bit with ccleaner. Do not run the registry cleanup tools unless you know what you're doing, you can pooch your system.

Last option is your system restore
    - right click 'my computer'
    - select properties
    - go to the restore tab
    - select the drive
    - click the settings button
    - see how much space system restore is allowed to use
    - move the slider to use less space on your drive
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone