Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless router

Question Wireless router

Hi, I have the wireless router to install/replace for my wired router. For a heads up, I got this wireless router because someone in the house bought a laptop and needs the connection. The pc I use is hard-wired.

My question is, which computer does the wireless router installation disc go in? The laptop or my pc, which is the main pc.

Hi turquoise,

Can you tell us the make and model of the router so as more questions arise we can answer them better.

You can install the router disk software on to the main computer. Follow the prompts during installation.

zep

Sorry about the lack of info. I was thinking it was a basic question since there wasn't any real problem with a pc or product. I sent the question while on hold with Cisco/Linksys.
    Normally I add all my pc info., but thanks for the tip.

99% of the routers i've come across dont need any instalation disk at all.

The disk you refer to is probably a router easy setup disk, rather than an instalation disk, and should be used on a computer that is currently connected to the router.

it will access the routers Web Based Interface page, (which can be accessed manually also) and setup the basic settings like a username and password to connect to your ISP, and also setup the routers Wireless Security Access Key which you will need to connect the second computer wirelessly.

Note that connecting without, or choosing not to have this Wireless Security, will allow anyone to connect to your router, and possibly also to the computers connected to the Network it creates.

Once someone shows you the way around the routers manual setup, you'll probably never need a setup disk again! i know i have not.

its also a good thing to learn for if or when something goes wrong.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Hi turquoise,

Here's the link that zep516 sent me when I was setting up my Linksys wireless router.
    How to Set up a Linksys Wireless Router | eHow.com

Also, you will want to secure the signal to keep others from "tapping" into it. I believe that info is included with the link.
    If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Default Network magic

Does anyone know about "Network Magic?" It was installed with the Cisco/Linksys router and it has a -6 day trial. It seems this is the only way I can lock out other people from tapping into the signal. So far anyway. I am not at the router in question so I can't work with it, but so far...I don't like wireless at all! I am inches from drilling a hole in the wall to pull an ethernet cable through to where the laptop is being used. If I remember the router is a WRT54G2.

Unrelated: Last night I was in facebook and the site shut down with a warning from "Windows Security...." something or other, saying that my "pc was under attack." This looked all authentic but in searching for that program in my pc, it did not exist. It was some sort of virus program and the only one I have running is Avast. (Yet Avast didn't pick up anything.) It took a few ctrl+alt+deletes to shut it down and then CCleaner, SuperAntiSpyware + an Avast scan found nothing. This thing was saying there were 13 detections!

After that I got into Network Magic and added the "Network lock." Initially I had the security key or code set up and I thought that is all I needed. Again, not liking wireless AT ALL! When I used the install disk for the router, it never asked to install Network Magic, that's why I am wondering if it's needed and are there other ways around it to secure the signal from other people tapping into it.

I will look at that link in the mean time.
    Thanks!

I am inches from drilling a hole in the wall to pull an Ethernet cable through to where the laptop is being used.
    Drill the hole pull the cable through!

My opinion only.

Use wireless when you go to coffee shops.

Kind of wish you would have said this a few days ago.

you dont need any 3rd party software to secure that router.

it has a 'web based interface' where settings can be set for it, but i'd recommend tinkering with them from the 'wired' PC, as changing access keys wirelessly will kick you out when you apply them, since the key will not be applied to your laptop when you save the new key in the router's setup.

You access the WBI by typing 192.168.1.1 into your web browser (the same way you type www.help2go.com to get to this site) and pressing Enter.

You may be asked to enter a username and password. If you have set one up with the disk, use that, if not, the default is to leave the username box Blank and type admin for the password.

There you'll be presented with the basic settings screen. Have a look around the options there, and familierise yourself with that screen.

Your looking for a section that will allow you to enable WEP Encryption (Should be under the Wireless Tab along the top) or similer, and set the key there. this is the security key you need to enter when you connect to your network with your laptop.

If you need any further help with this, let me know and i'll look deeper, and try and provide some clear instructions.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

This : "192.168.1.1" , was changed *on the 2nd hard-wired pc(#2 below)* the night I installed the wireless router because the 2nd hard-wired pc was not getting an internet connection and the help desk from Linksys I was chatting with was trying to isolate and resolve the problem. I took notes so it shouldn't be hard to switch back I hope, if needed.

Really, that hole in the wall is looking very tempting. I called the laptop user to run the idea by her and she laughed, yet I was serious. >: {

PC/Laptop breakdown
    #1 - HP Pavillion Desktop W7 - mine
    #2 - Dell E510 Dektop XP - child
    #3 - Toshiba Satelite Laptop W7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast