Unhappy I am at wits end...

I am so peeved!! Recently in the last week or so Firefox has taken forever to fully load pages. It's not any particular site. It's any of the ones I go to. I followed all of the troubleshooting suggestions that were for my problem. I have even gone as far as to uninstall and reinstall Firefox. I've ran multiple malware and anti virus programs. Disabled add ons. Went through them one by one to see if or which one was or might be the cause. Also, when I tried to do the same things on Internet Explorer I had the same issue. Please help!

I have an HP Pavilion a712n
    Intel Pentium 4
    CPU 2.80 GHz
    .99 RAM
    Capacity of: 143 GB
    Used space: 48.9 GB
    Free space: 94.1 GB

My Operating system is: Microsoft Windows XP - Home edition
    Version 2002
    Service pack 3

If any more information is needed, ask me and I will do my best to get it.

Hi,

1Tell us how you connect to the Internet, dsl,OR cable modem and router?

2 .99Ram?[/B] .99MB or .99GB Right click Mycomputer choose properties how much Ram (Memory) is reported?

3 Has this problem just occurred or has it been an ongoing problem for you?

Run these cleaning tools:

Download ccleaner from CCleaner - Downloading Slim... and save it to your Desktop.

When the file has been saved, go to your Desktop and double-click on ccsetupxxx_slim.exe
    Follow the prompts to install the program.
    Complete the installation then:
    • Double-click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
    • Click on the Options block on the left, then choose Cookies.
    o Under Cookies to Delete highlight any cookies you would like to retain permanently
    o Click the right arrow > to move them to the Cookies to Keep window.

• Go into Options > Advanced un[ /b]check Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours
    • Click Cleaner on the left then Run Cleaner on the right to run the program.
    • [color =red]Important:[/color] Make sure that ALL browser windows are closed before selecting Run Cleaner
    Caution: It is not recommended that you use the 'Registry' feature unless you are very familiar with the registry.
    • Exit [ b] CCleaner
    after it has completed its process

Then this one.

__ Download TFC by OldTimer from here http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
    to your desktop. When the window opens from link, click the save tab. Save it to your desktop. Then see below:

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
    * Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
    * Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart thecomputer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Let us know if there is improvement.

Last edited by zep516; 01-28-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Question I tried

I ran CCleaner and TFC.exe as recommended. I don't see any change.
    I use cable modem and router.
    I have 0.99 GB of RAM
    This problem has just occurred in the last week. Maybe last five days. I haven't ever had this problem. And I really don't know all that much about the "works" of computers. I would appreciate any more suggestions. Thanks!

Connect the computer directly to the modem see if a change occurs.

Ugh! I would have to take the computer upstairs to go directly to the modem. Are there any other ways to check this?

Hi Urbansgal67

Since you have the problem across 2 browsers I'm trying to eliminate a possible Internet service provider and / or router problem. The other thing you could try is unplug your modem and router for 30 seconds. Then plug the modem back in wait for lights to come up then plug router in see if that helps.

Lets also scan for possible Malware issue following the directions below. This scan can take an hour or more to run.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop from here Malwarebytes.org

* If you already have Malwarebytes installed make sure you update it before scanning with it.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
    • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
    • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
    • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Blog Entries

Urbansgal67

WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then give WinSock XP Fix a try. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use.
    Download HERE

Create a system restore point before running...but I have never had an issue this is a good tool and SnapFiles is an excellent website too
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer