Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying Error

Default Annoying Error

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

Ok H E L P i am using vista HP 32 bit and getting the above error when ever i try to download free software from download.com and freewarefiles.com and trying to get Vista and Compaq Updates can t get a bloody thing and i need a fix.

I've tryed restore, safe mode, use as admin, turned off UAC, was using AVG but read that might be a huge problem so i deleted that but not sure if it got deleted "Correctly" and how to fix that and maybe something is wrong in "Prefetch" not sure on to deal with that.

I have no Virus Scan scan thanks to the above error so using Malwarebytes to see nothing goes wrong for now and Ccleaner and crap cleaner and so far no fix . . .

Is their anyway i can rebuild ie 7.0 might that help worth a shot. . . . or might a simple overlay of vista fix the error ! ?

Any ideas out their - thanks a bunch awaiting help . . .

Blog Entries

Leftbehind

Try adding the website to the trusted sites list, you can find it from tools\Internet options, then select the security tab

(you may have to uncheck the https option temporarily too)

If it works then go back and remove them for security reasons

BTW: download.com is a reasonably safe site...not sure about freewarefiles.com

One last thought if this is Vista I would download IE8...IE7 might be the problem

NOTE....if you are on a network server you need to talk to the IT for permissions
    Last edited by abseh1; 01-30-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Default Annoying Error

Can't see adding 10/20 sites to trusted and then have to remove them to be safer why remove them hum and ie 8.0 i hear is a mess a must to avoid -

later

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leftbehind View Post
    Can't see adding 10/20 sites to trusted and then have to remove them to be safer why remove them hum and ie 8.0 i hear is a mess a must to avoid -

later
    IE8 is fine with Vista and much more secure than IE7

Best I can do for you...I think malware and IE7 maybe your problem... JMHO

Others can respond....but why you must avoid IE8 is simply confusing to me...IE7 is history and antiquated

Sorry, best I can do for you,,,good luck

Try an online scan if able with a web based anti-virus site like
    Free Antivirus Tools

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I've held off till recently to install IE 8. There were concerns that it was messing up some people's PCs, and it was designed for Vista on up. However, what changed my mind to give it a shot is the recent holes IE 7 and before have with their security. IE 8 is more secure than the previous versions. So far, I haven't encountered any problems .. if I do, I can always roll back.

I agree with Canuck, I am all for you installing IE 8 and seeing if that will help. I hope you can download it though....I don't see how it could possibly make things worse than they already are....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I've held off till recently to install IE 8. There were concerns that it was messing up some people's PCs, and it was designed for Vista on up. However, what changed my mind to give it a shot is the recent holes IE 7 and before have with their security. IE 8 is more secure than the previous versions. So far, I haven't encountered any problems .. if I do, I can always roll back.
    Canuck

Sadly some excellent malware programs did not play well with IE8 awhile back...specifically ...Spybot and Spyware Guard...I like these programs but avoid them now...but use IE8 with no problems since removing them
    (with Win XP)...but IE8 is a part of Vista and a none issue IMHO

I really think the problem is with IE7 and I am confused but it seems Leftbehind does not even have an anti-virus program @ this time...I may have misread his info/post?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leftbehind View Post
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

Ok H E L P i am using vista HP 32 bit and getting the above error when ever i try to download free software from download.com and freewarefiles.com and trying to get Vista and Compaq Updates can t get a bloody thing and i need a fix.

I've tryed restore, safe mode, use as admin, turned off UAC, was using AVG but read that might be a huge problem so i deleted that but not sure if it got deleted "Correctly" and how to fix that and maybe something is wrong in "Prefetch" not sure on to deal with that.

I have no Virus Scan scan thanks to the above error so using Malwarebytes to see nothing goes wrong for now and Ccleaner and crap cleaner and so far no fix . . .

Is their anyway i can rebuild ie 7.0 might that help worth a shot. . . . or might a simple overlay of vista fix the error ! ?

Any ideas out their - thanks a bunch awaiting help . . .
    You stated you deleted AVG....it must be uninstalled ...not deleted
    If the uninstall went bad...that is a definite issue/problem
    I would try to download it again and then uninstall it via add/remove or from the program menu...then give Avast a try

Download Avast HERE it is the free version and no need to spend $$$ unless you decide to upgrade later

You must have an anti-virus program

Also here is the AVG removal tool 32bit.exe------> AVG Antivirus and Security Software - Tools download

You should run it, it will remove all left over AVG files

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    Also here is the AVG removal tool 32bit.exe------> AVG Antivirus and Security Software - Tools download

You should run it, it will remove all left over AVG files
    zep516

I was searching for the removal tool...great help

I also, see a firewall issue if we ever get that far

This is a hands on problem...but still doable if
    Leftbehind has the patience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast