Default Can't install usb optical mouse

I have Windows XP Home, I bought a HP usb optical mouse, which says it's plug & play and does not require a driver or software. When I plug it in, the computer says "found new hardware" and goes through the wizard set up process but keeps looking for a driver & won't install it. What can I do?

What's the make and Model of your computer?

Look at mouse properties in the control panel see if you see anything there that may need changed.

Check the Device Manger any yellow warning indications?

Did the Mouse come with software?

Default can't install usb mouse

I have a Dell desktop, the mouse did not come with software because it says it's "plug & play" and does not require a driver or software, I did mention that in my post. I checked the mouse properties & device manager & did not see anything there because the computer won't install the mouse. I keep getting a message that I need a driver, even though the instructions say I do not.

Seem to recall I had this problem myself; go to the Help and Support section of the mouse manufacturers website and check for available drivers. If memory serves me correctly I found a suitable driver. I suspect you probably have a Logitech mouse and mine certainly didnt want to know until I downloaded the driver. Certain mouse operation option are only available with software...
    Hope this helps!

It's a Hewlett Packard mouse and there are no drivers under the help & support section because according to HP, this mouse does not require a driver or software, which is why they did not include a CD with the mouse. Thanks for the advice, though, I'm going to try to email HP for assistance.

Blog Entries

Try another USB port...also give it time...especially @ boot wait until you can move the mouse before you log on...some times initially it takes a minute or so, to load
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer