Default Keep computer on ?

I have a latitude csx 500xt,should I keep my computer on or should I turn it off after use? On average day I might turn it on and off 5 times. What is standby mode? Thanks for your help.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

This is a laptop I take it? With laptops, there are heating concerns, so constantly leaving it on could cause problems down the road. It also depends on how much time lapses between uses. I would say, any more than an hour it should probably be shut off (you'll get others saying they leave theirs on most of the day with no problems, I don't think it's worth taking a chance on). There are also fan cooling plates that you can sit the laptop on which circulates the air, they're inexpensive and worth the investment.

The standby mode
    Standby is only intended to put the system into a general low power mode, things like USB ports and ethernet and (sound may or may not shut off depending on system hardware settings and Operating system, but with windows usually sound is shut down on standby) some other components are left running at full power, because they have the ability to "wake up" the computer at any time... many components including the Video card are shut completely off, but CPU and RAM and various internal components are running, but on a lower power setting so that it can resume doing what it was doing when you want it to " wake up" (reasoning for USB to be powered is so that a keyboard or mouse could wake up the system, Ethernet because there is a command in networking called "WOL" Wake on LAN, which sends a command to the ethernet card to wake up a computer on standby)
    ref: What does my computers standby do? - Yahoo! Answers . This is a handy function when operating off the battery as noted above, there is less draw as minimal hardware is running. I still would not recommend its use for extended periods.

Always run your laptop on a flat, dust free surface. Despite it's name, your lap is not an ideal surface, nor the bed.

Thank you Canuck. I appreciate the patience and the easily understandable explanations and instructions you and your colleagues offer. I am a computer novice and in a short time my computer I.Q. has noticeably increased because of your site. I've referred your site to about a dozen people and they are impressed as well. Thanks again.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You're very welcome, thing about computers is that ones always learning!!