Default Unable to open downloaded files

In Firefox 3.5.7 I am unable to open certain files downloaded in the past few months.I am able to open .exe files but files downloaded from email attachments have the open function grayed out. Any new files downloaded from email attachments can be opened.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Depending on the e-mail program you're using, some automatically will not allow .exe programs to be opened as a security feature. If someone is sending you these in e-mail, get them to send as zip. When it arrives, move the zip file to desktop and open from there. As for what you can do with the ones you already have, try transferring the e-mail to another folder and see if you can download to desktop and open from there.

The problem isn't with .exe files.They open with no problem.The problem is with files downloaded from emails a while ago.Example: I open an attachment in an email.With Firefox it is opened & also downloaded to where you can access it via Tools>Downloads.I can't open them any more as the open function is grayed out.This never used to be a problem.I can still download a new attachment now & open it.It is with the saved downloads that there is a problem. Thanks

Hopefully others will be able to give you assistance on this, I haven't downloaded via e-mail through Firefox, I'm really not following your example. Are you accessing yahoo mail or gmail hotmail etc through FF and downloading from there? which e-mail service are you using???

Hi,
    This is with hotmail.I am using Firefox.I open an email that has an attachment.I open the attachment.I close the attachment.With Firefox the attachment is also sent to the Downloads( Tools>Downloads...This is a window w/ all items downloaded.If I try to open the attachment an hour later all is well.The next day I can't open it.The open function is grayed out. Thanks

Got it .. I think. Click tools > Options > in the General tab see where the downloads are being saved. Go to that folder using Windows Explorer and open it. Are you now able to open the attachments now? Otherwise, do you save your e-mails in Hotmail? If so, are you able to download it again? I don't use Hotmail so I don't know it, but when opening an e-mail in HM can you not save the attachments to your desktop or other folder where you want to keep the programs (exe).

I'm still hoping other members who use this feature will be able to jump in here and give us the benefit of their experiences.

Although the files(the attachment files) seem to exist in the Firefox Download they do NOT show up in a search of the computer files.ONLY the files I can open show up in Downloads (like exe. files).Strange.
    I went to IE & opened some emails w/ attachments & saved them to desktop.They stay accessible there for multiple days.
    What I will try next is to send the files to desktop in Firefox instead of to Downloads & see if I can still open them in a few days.
    In Firefox the Download option is default but it is easy to change.I'll see what happens.

Thanks

Blog Entries

The default download for FireFox is to the desktop...unless the user changes the path

You can right click on the file in FF download page and select Open Containing Folder to find your downloads

Edit @ 10:07

BTW: The path can be changed in FF

Tools>Options>General ...check and browse to where you want the
    file to go...you can even create a folder on the desktop and name it my Downloads etc
    Or
    Check the bullet to ask where to send the download
    Last edited by abseh1; 02-13-2010 at 09:11 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

For me the default was to the Download window.I never changed it(until now).The OPEN, OPEN CONTAINING FOLDER etc are grayed out after a day or so.It seems the DOWNLOAD window treats hotmail attachments differently than other files.

Thanks