Default Difference between ethernet address and IP address?

Hi

Can anyone please tell me what is ethernet address and its role in security. If someone knows my PC ethernet address, how would it affect my security? What can he do with that ethernet address?
    I have some knowledge about IP address, many ways of tracing and hiding IP, but I don't know if ethernet address can also be traced. I really wanna know ethernet address is useful for what purpose? Thanks for any help.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They are different things. An ethernet address, more commonly called a MAC address, is the identity given to individual machines on a network, and often used as a means of allowing or denying access to the network or an internet connection. That said, MAC address filtering is not secure and anyone with an ounce of knowledge will get past it in minutes. That's why the WEP security key was introduced, which also proved to be an easy target.

These days, virtually all routers use WPA security keys which are extremely secure. MAC addressing isn't required for home networks and can be deactivated.