Default Wireless Keyboard Failure

My son has a Dell XPS 400 with a Microsoft Wireless keyboard and mouse. Everything was working fine. He plugged his I-Pod into the USB port on the front and everything locked up. Upon reboot, we got a message, "Keyboard failure." I replace the batteries in both the mouse and keyboard, no joy. I disconnected the receiver and plugged in a USB mouse and keyboard I use on my laptop. We got through the keyboard message at reboot and go to the login screen, but there is no response to keystrokes or mouse movement. I tried F1, F2 and F8 at reboot, but the keyboard does not appear to be sending the keystroke. On reboot, you can see the "keyboard failure" message, but it still proceeds to the login screen. When I try to move the UBS mouse, I get an hourglass, like it wants to go, but then nothing happens.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JSM

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The likelihood is you need to reset the CMOS. This will explain the way to do that on your model. Be sure to read carefully all instructions starting at Clearing CMOS Settings at the base of the page, including this.

Good luck.