Angry Problems after installing OS

Last week I had my computer wiped and Windows XP Prof. SP 3 installed on it. It worked the first time but after I restarted my computer it said both CD drives are not found and Floppy also was not found. After hitting F1 it said error loading operating system. I have a Demension 3000 Dell. I can go into the bios and it says none of the drives are installed. I'll try to provide more info if needed but not sure what else is needed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sixtry View Post
    Last week I had my computer wiped and Windows XP Prof. SP 3 installed on it. It worked the first time but after I restarted my computer it said both CD drives are not found and Floppy also was not found. After hitting F1 it said error loading operating system. I have a Demension 3000 Dell. I can go into the bios and it says none of the drives are installed. I'll try to provide more info if needed but not sure what else is needed.
    Who did the repair?
    Have them do a new install and make sure they install all the Windows critical updates

BTW: Installing Critical Windows updates is a long process...and requires several reboots as the updates are sequential...also immediately install an Antivirus program before surfing the Internet
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

I had a friend that is pretty knowledgable with computers do it.

He came over but couldn't do anything with it because no matter what he did he couldn't get my drives to register.

Was this a simple operating system re-installation? or an upgrade?

Where did this friend get the disks for the re-installation?

At this stage, so soon after an installation, I'd recommend another re-installation using the correct disks if not used before.

There does not seem to be much to gain from troubleshooting this PC at this stage, as it would seem the problem is a problem with the original installation.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

It was an upgrade. I ordered it from alienware. I cannot find my original windows home CD that's why I got the new one.

Then this poses a slight problem.

I don't have any experience with upgrade CD's other than Vista's.

On that disk, if you insert it, it looks for a currently installed version of windows, then asks if you want to upgrade that version (to a list of options, not just one) or repair the version currently installed. It also has the option to re-install any operating system within the Vista range (As you would need a valid key to activate it)

I am unsure if this is the case with XP upgrade disks, so if anyone has experience, feel free to jump in here.

Apologies for the lack of help, its just not my field!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7