Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sharp drops in internet speed

I was instructed to post in this forum by JohnB151 who determined that my problem is not related to any malware/virus and that my system is clean. The topic in the "spyware help" forum that I am referring to is "Sharp drops in connection speed (logs included)": Sharp drops in connection speed (logs included)

My problem is that I keep getting sharp declines in my internet speed. I ran tests using sites like speedtest.net and during the upload phase of the program I can clearly see that the "speedometer" drops from the value that it should be (around 1 Mb/s which is the package I am paying for) to around 0.5 Mb/s.

I contacted my ISP and they spent a quite long time trying to troubleshoot my connection (e.g. we even removed my network card from the Device Manager and let it download again once restarted) and I even shared my desktop with them so that they could see the drops in speed. My ISP however concluded that there is nothing wrong from their end and that there might be a problem on my side. I hope you are able to help me with this issue, here are some specs of my PC, please let me know should you require further info:

OS: Windows XP Pro SP3 ; CPU: Intel E6750 @ 2.66GHz ; RAM: 4 GB installed (3.25 GB recognized) ; Video card: GeForce 9800 GT ; HDD: 2 x 750 GB drives, on the 'C' drive I have 615 GB of free space and on the 'D' drive I have 574 GB of free space.

Blog Entries

Send us the NIC info and we will look for the latest drivers for your card
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Hi, here is the info about my network card:

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Driver version: 10.39.0.0

Thank you!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It seems that you aren't alone with this problem. Many Shaw customers report fluctuating download speeds. This is just one example of many.

I see from your logs that you have ShawSecure installed. It's based on F-Secure which has a good rep as far as detection is concerned, but it's a massive resource hog and will be extremely noticeable on a slowish connection. Best advice...uninstall it and replace with a free AV program like Avast which has a much lighter touch.

You should also upgrade your version of Internet Explorer from IE6 to at least IE7, as a lot of sites no longer support IE6. Better still, do as suggested by John and change your browser.

When on a limited connection speed, it's important to make sure you don't have too many processes running in the background which are 'calling home' and using your bandwidth, so you should consider trimming down the number of startup processes on your machine, designated 04. You have 19, when under normal conditions, between 4 and 6 is all that's necessary. The more you have, the longer the machine takes to complete its startup and you are also using RAM unnecessarily.

First, download StartupLite by MalwareBytes to your Desktop.
    • Doubleclick StartupLite.exe to launch the program.
    • Ensure the Disable box is checked.
    • Click Continue.
    • A pop up message will tell you the unecessary startup items in your list have been disabled and ask you to restart your computer.
    • Re-start your computer.
    Second, download and install The PC Decrapifier follow directions and select the ones that you don't want. This program identifies the crap trials and links that PC manufactures throw in, that for the most part are just a waste of space and memory.

Now run HiJackThis again and see how many 04 entries are left.

Next, go here SystemLookup - Startup List >, highlight the .exe file on each 04 entry and Copy (one by one) & Paste into the white box and click the search button (magnifying glass). The next window will tell you what the .exe does. If there is a Y, leave the entry, if U you must decide if you need that utility at your finger tips 'right now' or instead, check the box off and shut the .exe down .. this does not delete the program, instead, all you have to do if you want to access it is either go to Start > All Programs or click on a shortcut on your desktop (not in the tray at the bottom right next to the time) Entries for Printers, Graphic/photo programs and programs like MS Office do not need to be running. There is also an N for not needed, check the box on these. If noted as an X or ? leave alone and an expert will tell you how to handle them. In HJT, after you've checked the box next to the ones you want stopped, click the Fix Checked button and reboot the machine.

Note: When looking up these entries, you may encounter multiple definitions. Look at the beginning of the 04 line and you'll note the name, usually in brackets [ ], you need to match this up with the definition under the Name column.

NOTE: Do not delete antivirus or firewall programs (you should only have one antivirus program running). Leave mouse pad entries if using a laptop.

Finally, Shaw have a policy of throttling the connection speeds of anyone downloading via Bit Torrent. No accusations here, but if you have done that in the past, you may be marked as an offender.

If you still have the problem, try asking a friend to come over and connect via your connection. At least you'll see if they have the same problem. Then you'll have something to go back to Shaw with.

Blog Entries

Intel® Driver Update Utility

Automatically identify and find drivers

The Intel® Driver Update Utility keeps your system up-to-date. It detects which driver updates are relevant to your computer, and then helps you install them quickly and easily.

Automatically identify and find drivers

Note: This is for Intel only

The Intel® Driver Update Utility detects updates which are relevant to your computer then helps you install them.

=================================
    I found a solution to a ISP speed issue...I could only get 14MB from a 40MB ISP service....I removed my AV and installed Panda Cloud Free AV
    I updated the NIC driver and adjusted my firewall...I have a router too
    I now average 38+ MB

The combo worked for me....good luck

Blog Entries

Another option below:

It will allow a reg backup before using too

WinSock XP Fix

Fix XP Internet connectivity

WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings.

I connected my laptop and it also had the same problem so I guess the problem is related to my ISP and not my computer (should have done this earlier). They are now sending a tech over but I'm not sure he'll be able to do anything productive from my experience during this whole thing goes.

As far as Shaw secure goes it was recommended by Shaw after I contacted them with this problem (I was running Avast previously). I also do not use IE, I always use Firefox. Finally the drivers are all up to date according to the Intel tool (except for the video driver).

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As far as Shaw secure goes it was recommended by Shaw after I contacted them with this problem
    I refer you to my previous post. ShawSecure is a massive resource hog and should be removed, no matter what Shaw say.

Good that they are taking responsibility for something that is patently their fault. Pity you had to push them before they reacted.

Yes I will definitely remove that garbage as I've never had a problem with Avast. They actually did not plan on sending a tech over until I threatened to discontinue services, it is definitely a shame that they let things get this far.

Thank you guys though for doing your best on this matter, I will definitely donate for all the effort now and in the past!

Blog Entries

sefrzan

Good luck....you are attaching the problem well....I believe it is the ISP's issue too

BTW: I agree with arrankid and you that Avast is an excellent AV
    However...not to beat a dead horse...I had avast too...prior to installing Panda Cloud
    (it's really a thin-client that is connected in real-time to PandaLabs’ Collective Intelligence servers )...it silently updates every 6 minutes ...but, still is less computer and ISP intensive...go figure
    source: Panda Cloud Antivirus – Free AV thin-client | Panda Research Blog
    Panda Cloud Antivirus consists of a lightweight antivirus agent that is connected in real-time to PandaLabs’ Collective Intelligence servers to protect faster against the newest malware variants while barely impacting PC performance.
    With Panda Cloud Antivirus we introduce a new protection model based on a thin-client agent & server architecture which services malware protection as opposed to locally installed products
    Just another thought/option...wish you well with the techs

Note: Have him check the NIC and see if speed & duplex are set to auto negotiation...some ISP's require a manual setting ..IE: 10 or 100mbps full duplex
    Last edited by abseh1; 02-18-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast