Thread: home networking

Default home networking

I always have a lot of trouble setting up a home network. My main computer is running windows XP Professional and I have a broadband connection through a cable modem that is also wireless capable. This computer connects directly to the internet ok but I cannot see any other of the computers on the network.

I am trying to add a compaq laptop to the network. It will also connect directly to the internet so long as I have all the four computers connected by cable through a hub. However, if I move the laptop to another room and take the internet router with me, I cannot connect to the internet. They are all DHCP capable. How do I add the laptop to the network so I can read the files on the main computer and vice versa. I have tried setting up a new connection on the main computer and as the laptop does not have a floppy disk, the wizard says I can use the XP cd to set it up on the laptop but how???

I try adding another computer to the network but it always says there is no such folder and browsing does not help.

Can someone take me through setting up a home network step be step without worrying about ICS which I do not want to use, I want all the computers to connect to the internet seperately but be able to see the files and printers etc on each other.

Thank you,
    Allan
    Last edited by arraknid; 02-18-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: email address removed

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Even though I worked in MIS for about 20 years, I never was a "network" person. I made a couple of attempts to set up a simple home network and neither ever got off the ground. Sneaker net was all I ever managed. Then about a year ago Linksys/Cisco offered a demo of their new "NetWork Magic". I tried it and in about an hour and a half I had two desktops, a laptop, two netbooks, a PS3, A Wii and a PSP all networked.
    I found it to be a simple and inexpensive fix for me. There are other ways of course (arraknid provided a link to a couple). This one works for me however.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 12gb Ram / Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    HP w2207 Monitor / 24X Dual Layer Optical Drive / 700W PSU /
    Nvidia GeForce HD N460 1GB /...Keurig ready to brew a quick cuppa!

Blog Entries

mukiduk

Very basic but important

You need to create and name the network (usually a home network)
    You need to have all the computers in the same work-group
    You need to share the printer...if you chose to have other use the printer

Note: if all computers are WinXP you will not need to create a disk

Any Wireless puters needs to be connected to the network via wireless basic settings
    (usually accessed via an IP addy and password & WPA protection @ least)
    See your router type & website for details

see arraknid post for details
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

However, if I move the laptop to another room and take the internet router with me, I cannot connect to the internet.
    Why are you taking the router with you? If it's WiFi there is no need, just leave it attached to the other PCs. When you move it to another room, how do you hook into the ISPs modem?

Things to bear in mind: Make sure all PCs (whether XP or Vista) have the same network name (by default it's MSHOME). Also, run the 'setup a home or small office network' on all PCs. Many laptops (as long as they are equipped with wifi) may have a switch to turn on wifi (newer ones don't), also the modem has to have wifi capability.