Thread: IE8 not working

Default IE8 not working

I'm having a problem with Internet Explorer. It appears that I've somehow lost connectivity on my desktop. I have another laptop that is able to get to the Internet using a wireless router thatís hooked up to the desktop, so I know that the problem is not my service provider. I tried to run a system restore to a date of about a month ago, and it didn't fix the problem. Now, when I click on Internet Explorer, I don't even get an error message anymore. The screen is just white and I don't have the toolbar at the top to even look at Internet Options. At this point, I don't know what else to do other than to try to reinstall Internet Explorer on my desktop. I just don't know how to. I have the original operating system disc that came when I first bought the desktop about 3 yrs ago, but I don't want to reinstall the whole operating system, just Internet Explorer. ... I've got Windows XP ... any advice on what to do next?

You could try a reset first. Internet explorer has a function that will allow you to reset it to an "As Installed" state, with all add-ons and extentions removed.

the following article from microsoft explains how:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

It has a "Fix it for me" or you can follow these steps as stated there:

To use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature from Control Panel, follow these steps:
    1. Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer (if it is running).
    2. Click Start, and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:inetcpl.cpl.
    3. Type the following command in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER:
      inetcpl.cpl
      The Internet Options dialog box appears.
    4. Click the Advanced tab.
    5. Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again.
    6. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.
    7. Start Internet Explorer again.

Let us know how you get on, as we may have other ideas
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7