Thread: IE8 not working
- 02-20-2010 01:35 AM #1
- Join Date
- Feb 2010
IE8 not working
I'm having a problem with Internet Explorer. It appears that I've somehow lost connectivity on my desktop. I have another laptop that is able to get to the Internet using a wireless router thatís hooked up to the desktop, so I know that the problem is not my service provider. I tried to run a system restore to a date of about a month ago, and it didn't fix the problem. Now, when I click on Internet Explorer, I don't even get an error message anymore. The screen is just white and I don't have the toolbar at the top to even look at Internet Options. At this point, I don't know what else to do other than to try to reinstall Internet Explorer on my desktop. I just don't know how to. I have the original operating system disc that came when I first bought the desktop about 3 yrs ago, but I don't want to reinstall the whole operating system, just Internet Explorer. ... I've got Windows XP ... any advice on what to do next?
- 02-20-2010 05:06 AM #2
You could try a reset first. Internet explorer has a function that will allow you to reset it to an "As Installed" state, with all add-ons and extentions removed.
the following article from microsoft explains how:
How to reset Internet Explorer settings
It has a "Fix it for me" or you can follow these steps as stated there:
To use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature from Control Panel, follow these steps:
- Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer (if it is running).
- Click Start, and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:inetcpl.cpl.
- Type the following command in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER:
The Internet Options dialog box appears.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again.
- When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.
- Start Internet Explorer again.
Let us know how you get on, as we may have other ideas