Default Uninstalling Windows XP Professional

Hi I am trying to uninstall my version of Windows XP Professional because I found out it isn't a genuine copy and I want to install a genuine copy. When I try to uninstall it from the Safe Mode Command Prompt, it says the following:

"Setup cannot uninstall Windows XP because the necessary registration information is missing"

Not sure what I need to do now.

Thank you.

Jaceyw

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It isn't possible to uninstall XP in that way unless it was an upgrade of a previous version. You are effectively asking XP to uninstall itself and leave an empty hard drive, which is impossible.

The simplest option is to just install the new version over the top of the current one as an Upgrade. That way you'll keep all of your data in place. If you are replacing like for like - XP Pro for XP Pro, you could simply change the product key to the one that came with the legal version, but the likelihood is, the illegal copy is an OEM version and the new one is a retail version, so the product key may not be accepted. To do that, download Windows Product Key Update Tool.

In fact, you didn't need to purchase the new copy, you could have simply purchased a new, legal key from Microsoft as part of their Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP see here.

Thanks. Is it possible to uninstall it using the cd it came with?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You don't need to uninstall it, Windows does it automatically. Just start the computer, place the disk in the drawer and let it run. If you are replacing XP Pro with XP Pro, just select Install Windows XP and select the option to Upgrade(recommended). That'll keep your data intact.

If the new XP isn't the same version, you'll only have the option to clean install it. Just select that and let it run. You will lose all data on the drive, so save anything you need first.

Once more thank you for your help. This is very useful information. Jaceyw