Default windows 7 imaging

I have now installed windows 7 onto a new hard disc(320gb) on my laptop.
    The used portion is about 50gb

I want to make an image of the HDD and put it on an external hard drive.I have two external hard drives (160gb) and (1tb)

Will the created image take up all 320gb even though the used portion is 50gb

To those who have replied to my earlier posts, thank you

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An image is an exact copy of the partition, so when installed on another drive, it will be 320Gb. Your better option would have been to create a smaller, say 150Gb, partition, install Win7 on that and create a second 170Gb partition for data storage. Then you would have needed just 150Gb of space for the copy.

Of course, if you need to back up the second partition too, you gain little, but you'll have a degree of data protection in the event of drive problems or a system crash.

wazza, you can still do what arraknid suggests in his first paragraph if you want to use free third party software.

I think you should shrink your C or windows partition down to about 100 GB. Then image that and store it on either of your externals. Then after that create a second partition for data and even programs on the 320 as arraknid says.