Post dell inspiron 1545

i bought my husband a dell laptop as above , he started having problems and decided to reformat it.. when he did that he said it still wasnt right , i said he needed to restore it to factory setting like i did my daughters by pressing f8. unfortunately the restore factory setting option isnt there like it should be... where has it gone and how do we get it back ???? please help me chris xx

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You don't say which operating system he used (XP, Vista, Win7), and if I understand correctly, he did a clean install with one of these? If he's done a clean install, reformat, chances are that the whole hd was completely wiped, including the factory restore settings.

If it is working, I suggest you go to Dell site, select the operating system he's installed (this link has been selected for the model of the laptop, but not the o/s) and download all the drivers for the laptop Drivers & Downloads . Hopefully this will work for him. Keep us posted.

Default re dell inspiron

the laptop is on vista , and my husband said he reformated it using the windows disc instead of f8 does this help? ta chris

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

As I said, if that's what he's done, he's cleaned out the HD, so I don't think the restore to factory settings will be accessible. You could try the f8, but don't hold your breath.

I suggest you go to the link I gave, select Vista and install the drivers there. If that doesn't do the trick, Calling Dell and seeing if they would send you the repair disks (this will probably cost) would be the next option..

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you'll find you need to press CTRL + F11 as soon as you see the Dell splashscreen. Timing is all important, so it may take a few goes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    I think you'll find you need to press CTRL + F11 as soon as you see the Dell splashscreen. Timing is all important, so it may take a few goes.
    As arraknid posted

The CTRL / F11 does work....but you apparently need to use the CTRL button on the right side of the keyboard.
    ( 'fn'I [function key] to activate F11.)
    That allows the F functions to switch functions
    F keys have two different uses and are like a upper and lower case
    (sometimes called F Lock)

But if he did a clean install as mentioned ....that formatted the HDD and removed the option completely
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer