Default Laptop monitor/screen problems

Hello. A friend of mine recently got a new laptop and gave me his old one. Of course, this old laptop wasnt in great working condition, but I think that I've taken care of most of the virus/spyware/malware problems. The issue that I'm having now is that the screen is really really dim. And the actual desktop is about an inch smaller than the screen. So there is always an inch of black screen around the desktop or whatever programs I have open. This is a Sony Vaio PCG-K23, running XP Home SP2, with 512 MB of ram and a 60 GB hard drive. I do have the option of completely wiping the hard drive and loading XP again, but I dont want to go thru all that trouble if something is wrong with the actual screen on the laptop.

I have tried adjusting the display settings in control panel to 1024 x 768 but the display is still significantly smaller than the screen. I'm not that familiar with laptops, but I tried using the "Fn + F6" keys to lighten the screen and that didnt work. Could this maybe be a problem with one of the drivers??

When the laptop boots up I get 2 pop ups saying "LoadLibrary ("C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\oxwngbwd.dll") failed. The specified module could not be found" and a 2nd one saying "LoadLibrary ("C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\mlsxmnul.dll") failed. The specified module could not be found"

I would appreciate any assistance you could give me. Thanks in advance.

All problems aside, if this is a new laptop to you, then i'd ALWAYS recommend a format and re-install.

Who knows whats stored on there, and as you already had problems with spyware and viruses, this would be the safest course of action.

This will probably solve your issue too, but if you really do want to go down the 'just fix it' route, post back and someone will get back to you.

Let us know how you get on!.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Ok. Well, I guess I just wasnt sure if I should put the time in to try to fix the existing problems and/or reload XP just to find out that the display was damaged, which might make it not worth the time and money to try to find parts to replace the screen, etc. I was hoping to be able to determine that the laptop itself was in good working condition, (and possibly good to use temporarily) and then when I get a bit of free time I would reload XP, and prob even load XP Pro as that is what I am running on my home computer.

Do those "LoadLibrary ("C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\oxwngbwd.dll") failed" pop ups have to do with video drivers or the display not working correctly??

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is absolutely no info on those dll files which look like they are randomly generated. That's usually a sign of malware, but may not be. Ordinarily, LoadLibrary functions are related to Visual Basic coding of installed applications which are trying to load at startup.

As MrDarn says, your best option is to do a clean reinstall. It'll take around 40 minutes and will highlight any problems with hardware. That's probably less time than you'll spend trying to fix the problem otherwise.

Ok, I'll let ya know how the display works after a fresh XP Pro install. Thanks.