Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Additional Disc Drive after windows 7 install

Hi
    I have recently upgraded my Vista home premium OP to windows 7 professional.Since the upgrade which was done as a custom install using an upgrade disc. I now have in my computer a new disc drive labeled local disc E this disc is 11.2GB of which 10.6 GB are free. This drive contains one folder called $WINDOWS~.BT inside this folder there are other folders called SOURCES, Panther , Rollback.
    My question is are these folders necessary and if not how can I add the 11.2 GB disc space to Local disc C.
    Thanks in advance

Hi
    Perhaps I didn't explain my self very well.
    Since doing a fresh install of windows 7 I have a new disc partition which is 11.2 Gb, in this partion is a folder named $WINDOWS~.BT inside this folder there are other folders called SOURCES, Panther , Rollback.
    This partion was not present before the clean install of windows 7, is this new partition required ?
    How can I remove this partition and add the 11.2 gb back to local disk C ?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Deleting it or not really depends on whether you'll ever have the need to uninstall Win7 and rollback to Vista. If you decide not, then you can remove it. You'll need to use Disk Cleanup as described here in the green highlighted post from Tikus66.

Once the partition is empty, you can use Disk Manager to delete the partition, then extend your C drive into the space.
    Last edited by arraknid; 03-24-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Hi Araknid
    You'll need to use Disk Cleanup as described in the green highlighted post from Tikus66.

Once the partition is empty, you can use Disk Manager to delete the partition, then extend your C drive into the space.

Thanks for the answer.
    I would like to remove this partition or at least re size it. using disk manager I'm able to resize the parition but when I click on the C drive the option to expand this partition is greyed out. What am I doing wrong?
    Can you please give me a link to the post on how to use Disk Cleanup.
    Thanks
    Last edited by bondi699; 03-24-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Sorry, I missed out the link. It's in place now. Do the cleanup first then come back.

Hi
    The Partition is now empty, however reported size says 11.2 Gb but available size says 10.6Gb.
    I'm still unable to expand C drive into this available space.

Blog Entries

Right click on the empty partition and select Delete Partition, it'll then show as unallocated space which can be extended into. If you have a problem, we can recommend a free partition editor, but try that first.

Blog Entries

I've got to go out for an hour or so, so I'll give you the free partition management details. Download from here...

Easeus Partition Master Home Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Hi
    The partition as now gone from my computer and I have 11.27 Gb of unallocated space showing in disk manager, but I'm still unable to expand C drive into this free space.

Hi
    When I attempt to install the partition manager I receive a setup error message.

You are attempting to install Esseus partition master home edition on a 64bit operating system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast