Question Media Player 8 I think

I recently installed a router . Since then, I can not open e-mail attachments with media player. I have Vista on my desk top and XP on my lap top. Have tried everything.....please help!!! Tells me file can not be found.

Hi Newbie,

Welcome to Help2Go!

Sorry for the delay in response.
    When you click on the attachment to open, a window should pop up that states the download and gives you a choice as what to open with or to save file. To the far right of Open with, there should be an arrow that you can click on. This will drop down, and gives you the option to choose Other....Click on Other (if Windows Media Player is not displayed).....A Choose Helper Application window then should pop up that is similar to the one below. (I have Vista, it may look different)

Use the scroll bar to the right to find Windows Media Player. It should be there as an option. Double left click on WMP and it should automatically insert itself as the option that you want to open the attachment in. That window will then disappear, and WMP should now be the option to the right of Open with.

Keep me informed if this helps!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Question Media Player 8 I Think

Hi Donna, Thanks for your reponse. I think I should have explained in more detail. Media Player opens when I try to view my e-mail attachments with the following message: Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has moved, renamed, or deleted. This only started after I installed a router. I am running Vista on my desk top and XP on my lap top. Could this be causing an issue with Media Player? Once again, thanks for your response to my original question. Newbie

Hi Newbie!

Not a problem on lack of info. Happens all the time!

I don't see how setting up your router could be causing this issue. Windows Media Player can be open without being on line. It is a program that is accessed through your computer, not the internet.

Click open your Download Folder to see if it is in there. If not, you may have to search for it in other folders. Do you still have access to the attachment in your e-mail? You may have to re-download it if you can't find it.

I have to re-locate downloaded attachments all the time. I get in too much of a hurry myself, and don't pay attention to where it's downloading to. But, I'm learning to!

Let me know. We'll go from there!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Hi Donna,

I cannot open anything in Media Player. Should I download Media Player 11? Perhaps that would help....this is so frustrating. Thanks for all your help!

Newbie,

Does this occur in both the XP & your Vista?

Above you say "8 I think", in your thread title. I am assuming you are talking about your XP machine. And yes, you can upgrade to version 11 (as version 8 is really outdated), and probably should be upgraded. Here's a link for you to do that.
    Windows Media Player 11
    It will just write over the older version.

Upgrade your XP to version 11. Try to access the attachment and let me know how it comes along.

Vista should have come with version 11. Though it could be corrupt, as well as the attachment that was sent. But, you say you can't open "anything". Does this include cd's, dvd's, etc. or just the e-mail attachments? Were they both working properly before?

Other dedicated members may add their opinion on this as well, if they see that I've missed something here. So be patient.

Donna

Hi Donna,

Once again, thanks for you help!

Yes, this does occur in both XP and Vista. It is only e-mail attachments that seem to be affected. I will upgrade to version 11 and let you know what happens.

You're welcome Newbie!

Thought I'd toss these questions at you, to help me fill in the blanks here.
    1.) Do you have this problem with all attachments? Such as text documents, pictures, movies,etc.
    2.) Do you know the source of these attachments, and were you expecting them?
    3.) Do you know where they were downloaded to, and are they still there?
    4.) Also, could you tell me the extensions of these attachments?

Different attachments open with different programs.

Let me know when you get upgraded.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 03-23-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Hi Donna,

In answer to your questions...

1.Yes
    2.Yes
    3.I have no idea.
    4. I have no clue what extensions are.

I thought I was doing so well at this computer stuff..smile... but I guess not! I really am a Newbie at this!

You were right, I do have Media Player 11 on Vista and now have it on XP with no change. What are codecs? Should I download them, if so, from where?

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. Your answers always help... should I? (Click here if this post helped you?) I am not quite sure how everything works on Help2Go.

Hi Newbie,

Here's a link that will explain what a codec is > Windows Vista Codecs

Anytime you receive an attachment through e-mail, it will have an extension at the end. Example > image004.jpg...> .jpg is the extension. This extension represents a picture. Where as .mov represents a movie/video.
    And here's a link with a full list of extensions > Common File Extensions

This link here explains File Type-The Related Extensions-And what it Opens with. I like this one better. Not so detailed, for what we need.
    LEARN THE NET: Opening E-mail Attachments

First, let's find the attachment extensions. Do you still have the E-Mails with these attachments? Copy and paste it into your next reply as I did the image004.jpg above. If you don't want to copy and paste the whole thing for privacy reasons, please just copy and paste the .jpg or whatever follows the dot. That's all I really need to see, anyhow.

As for the (Click here if this post helped you), everytime you click on that, a point is added to the persons point standings that is helping you. You may click on it if you like, and you feel that I have helped you. But, what is important to me, is that I help you solve your problem. That is my true reward!

Here is the best gift of all that I received when I found this forum. If you come across any computer terminology that you don't understand in the links above, it will help a great deal!
    Computer Dictionary @ Computer-Dictionary-Online.org

Also, if you want to add a smilie face, type in : ) without the space in between and you get this >

You can also click on Go Advanced just under the Quick Reply box, and there is a box of smilies on the right hand side that you can choose from. Just click your cursor where you want it to be, then click on the smilie to choose it! You can preview your post many times before you click Submit Reply < : cool :

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 03-24-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: rephrase info.