Default reading attachments

i use office 2007on my home computer[word 2007 for word processing]

when i receive attachments in doc format from someone using a different version of word i am unable to read them as the content appears a a jumble of 'symbols' .however if an attachment is in power point or excel there isn't a problem

on my work computer using word 2003 there are no problems reading any attachment.

what can i do to sort this out? as simple solution as possible would be appreciated.

kevcoady

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Office 2007 won't open any .doc files created in a previous version unless it's running in Compatibility mode. There's also the option to convert the .doc file to a .docx, which is the Office 2007 format. This explains it.

It's one of the problems with sending files in .doc format. Those people who don't have Microsoft Office installed on their machines will also have problems. If you intend sending the file to someone else, save it as a .rtf file and send that. All operating systems have the means to open .rtf files - Wordpad in Windows and TextEdit on a Mac.

Alternatively, send the file as a .pdf, which is also accessible on all systems.