Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Computer not starting up

We brought a computer (with windows 95)home from in laws and plugged it up. A grayish screen appears with ATI-264GT/A2 PSEUDO EDO BIOS 2.199 in the top left hand corner...with a dash blinking under it...nothing else. How do we get to the startup menu?

Blog Entries

Does it have a HDD?....you did say brought....not bought like in paid for it?

Need more info...model make etc

If you are up to it you can have fun with it ....if you have a valid copy/cd of windows...win98SE would be best
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Hi shirleymae,

You have a really out dated computer there. See if you can get it into safe mode. To do this, restart the computer and tap the F8 key continuously until you reach the advanced option menu.

Let us know if you can accomplish this before going any further.

It may not be a good idea to connect to the internet for security reasons with such an out dated Operating System.

Do you know the make and model and any of the past maintenance history?

Donna

EDIT > Ooops! Sorry abseh1. I was researching while you were posting! You're fast...I'm slow!
    Last edited by DonnaB; 03-18-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi shirleymae,

You have a really out dated computer there. See if you can get it into safe mode. To do this, restart the computer and tap the F8 key continuously until you reach the advanced option menu.

Let us know if you can accomplish this before going any further.

It may not be a good idea to connect to the internet for security reasons with such an out dated Operating System.

Do you know the make and model and any of the past maintenance history?

Donna

EDIT > Ooops! Sorry abseh1. I was researching while you were posting! You're fast...I'm slow!
    Donna is very much on the point
    It seems to be posting and looking for a hard-drive....heck the video card may not even run on today's monitors

As Donna said if safe mode works you can pick up an old video card @ any Mom and Pop store for free probably

It is very old but you could make a nice little server (store files etc) with Linux....any old HDD would do fine

Or just try running it on a bootable Linux CD....no hard-drive required

I recommend Puppy....it runs on about 70 mb and even has open office too

Puppy Info Here

BTW: Unfortunately Win95 did not have USB....but if you have working RAM and a CD-Rom drive ...you can have fun playing with it
    (just the geek in me...most probably think I am crazy lol)
    Last edited by abseh1; 03-19-2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: added text
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

I really don't know much about the computer. I do know the hard drive is a Sony. I tried the F8, but it didn't work. Where would I find the make of it? I have another computer, but brought this one home to let the kids play games on.

Can you type anything where the cursor is flashing?

if so, try simply typing win at the prompt and pressing Enter

If that does not work, try holding a [Ctrl] key as the computer boots, if the windows options screen does not load, then it is possible Windows is corrupt and will need reinstalling.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Nothing seems to work...I even tried putting my Dell copy of Windows XP in the CD Rom drive...nothing changed.

A question we maybe should have asked at the begining... Did you ever see it working?

it sounds to me like all the data has been erased, including the operating system.

The cd wont work untill the setting in the BIOS is changed to read from the CD drive first.

Try tapping the delete key to see if BIOS options appear, then change the settings under the boot settings to boot from CD first.

Using your XP cd will result in you having a PC for 30 days, then it'll need activated with a product key. Using the one off your dell will invalidate both machines, so its not a good idea.

The way to go, just to get it up and running, is using Linux.

It takes getting used too, but i personally wouldnt spend any money on such an old machine, so a Free OS like linux looks favorable.

...unless you can get an old win98 cd...
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Thanks everyone for your time and advice. I will try to locate an old win98 cd. Thanks for the advice about not using my xp cd..I would hate to corrupt it.

Yes, it did work. My mother-in-law used it to play games. She had it unplugged for several months, though. Would that matter?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast