Wink Registry cleaners

Hi, I just read your post about ccleaner, I have seen it before but it is free, I dont know how good a free registry cleaner could be, anyone have any feedback on it?
    I did some investigating on which one people think is the best, it was called regcure, has anyone tried it and do they know how safe it is to use?
    Last edited by arraknid; 03-21-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Link removed

Registry cleaners are not recommended by this site.

The reason being, even a slight mistake in the registry will just collapse the whole thing like a house of cards.

My experience of them is this:
    On a working machine with no problems, they seem to work fine, but on ANY system i have used one on, where i KNOW the problem is WITH the registry, the computer becomes a doorstop. Windows then needs reloaded, losing everything (unless you made a registry backup! )

Tests done by reputable people have concluded these cleaners do little or nothing to help with speed or errors that are to do with the registry.

Cleaning out disused entrys have sped up machines by about 0.4 of a second over a 1 minute test.

Is that really worth the risk?
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We tested some of the best know registry cleaners here...

Registry Cleaner Review - Help2Go - free computer problems help and troubleshooting

Comparing Registry Cleaners

Take a look before you go down that route!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

As for Ccleaner, it is an excellent cleanup program for temp files, cookies etc, which is it's main purpose. We do recommend it for this, however, Ccleaner also comes with a Registry cleaner, a separate program with in a program. As our members state in their other posts to you, we do not recommend using Ccleaner's registry cleaner or any other registry cleaner unless you are very knowledgeable in working with the Registry.

I'm confused. Is it OK to use CCleaner if you limit its applications? for example only have cookies, temp folders checked.

Hi ceyermann,

Yes! Ccleaner is OK and safe to use. It is an excellent cleanup program as mentioned by Canuck in his post above though we here at Help2Go do not recommend the Registry Cleaner feature just as all other professionals elsewhere do not recommned for the reasons stated by MrDarn in his post above.

Actually, many people don't realize that Ccleaner is a multi-use tool that cleans out Web history, Windows' temporary files and cookies and it can also clean out file fragments and uninstall old programs for you, too. That could all save you a lot of disk space. CCleaner lets you specify exactly what types of items it can delete. You can also choose to analyze your disk first. Then you can preview everything that CCleaner plans to delete. CCleaner also gives you the option to delete unessential start-up programs.

Anytime that you have any questions concerning programs please don't hesitate to ask. That's what we're here for!

Hope this helps to clear up a few thing for you.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

To expand a little on Donna's post, it is safe to use ccleaner with its default settings. It will automatically detect the browser(s) you use and clean out any cookies etc. Take note .. if you save sign in settings to sites you visit go to Options >cookies > and move the 'cookies to delete' to the 'cookies to save' side of the window by highlighting the cookie, then using the arrow button to move.

Thank you all for clearing that up.