Default How to re-install Win7 upgrade?

Hi

I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. I currently have some issues that I think can only be resolved by a re-install.

How do I achieve this - do I have to re-install Vista and then upgrade again or what?

Alternatively, what if I do a HD reformat?
    Barry S Smith

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You don't say what the problems are that have made you decide to reinstall Win7, but maybe try a Repair install first. Full details are shown here.

If that doesn't cure your problems, instructions for a clean install are shown here.

Alternatively, what if I do a HD reformat?
    I just wanted to add that with Upgrade media you do need to have Windows 7 installed on the system for the DVD to detect it and allow you to perform a Custom install which will reformat the HDD for you. You shouldn't have any problems activating it seeing as the DVD will remember.

If you reformat the HDD using some other method you will not be able to do that and might have problems activating the Upgrade version of Windows. If you do have problems tough, when you're activating you're given a phone number to call. Call that number and explain what you did, they'll give you a new activation code or instructions on how to resolve your issue just fine.

Do tell us what problems you're experiencing on the system. It might be something simple.

Blog Entries

If you reformat the HDD using some other method you will not be able to do that and might have problems activating the Upgrade version of Windows.
    You might find this interesting.

Yeah I knew it was something like that. I did try looking for some similar resource online but had trouble. Thank you.

To avoid validation issues though, considering this is the same key that has already been previously validated, he'd be better off performing a clean install from the DVD and having it reformat the drive instead of formatting the drive using a third party partition tool first.

Blog Entries

Having done this a few times, it actually makes no difference. Install it, then reinstall on top. Works perfectly every time. Saves money too.

Oh I agree with you, I'm not trying to argue. He should have no problem either way.

Even the article you linked to said that worst case you'll have to call them up.

Thanks for all the info folks - very illuminating, and I will give it a go.
    Barry S Smith