Default system/hal.dll missing

hi,

on my other notebook, windows won't start at all,

on boot up, i get a message saying that system/hal.dll is missing ,

can i copy that hal.dll from this computer with a flash drive over to the notebook pc ?

thanks very much,

larry

That depends if its actually missing or not.

Heres a good tutorial:
    Missing Hal.dll - Missing Or Corrupt Hal.dll Error Message in Windows XP - Fix Hal.dll
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

complicated,

assuming it is missing, can i just try copying the hal.dll from one notebook to the other ?

If its the same version of windows, that should work (although the copy on the windows disk would be easier to replace with) but i do have one question for you:

How are you going to replace the file if windows does not boot?

If you have a way of accessing the files on the harddrive, such as using a Knoppix live cd, then simply checking if the file is there will be much less hassle, before you go overwriting things.

The link i gave before is not really that complex, if you run through it one step at a time, then have a break to clear your head before moving to the next, and usually the system restore option solves this error (in my experience).

Possibly the most daunting option for me was replacing the boot.ini file, as i'd never tried it before!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Blog Entries

{ Note: If repairing the boot.ini does correct the hal.dll issue but the problem reappears after a reboot and you've recently installed Internet Explorer 8 in Windows XP, uninstall IE8. In this specific situation, IE8 could be the root cause of your hal.dll problem.}

IE8 and WinXP do have issues @ times...IE8 was a Vista browser design...you can remove it in add/remove control panel and go back to IE7
    =================================================================
    Windows XP's boot.ini file repair and not the hal.dll file repair...but boot ini is a usual cause too

Time Required:Repairing or replacing the boot.ini file usually takes less than 10 minutes

Here's How: it is relatively easy

WinXP and WinXP Pro...you need the WinXP Disk
    1. Enter Windows XP Recovery Console. The Recovery Console is an advanced diagnostic mode of Windows XP with special tools that will allow you to restore the boot.ini file.
    2. When you reach the command line (detailed in Step 6 in the link above), type the following command and then press Enter.
      bootcfg /rebuild
    3. The bootcfg utility will scan your hard drives for any Windows XP installations and then display the results. Follow the remaining steps to add your Windows XP installation to the boot.ini file.
    4. The first prompt asks Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All).
      Type Y in response to this question and press Enter.
    5. The next prompt asks you to Enter Load Identifier:.
      This is the name of the operating system. For example, type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition and press Enter.
    6. The final prompt asks you to Enter OS Load options:.
      Type /Fastdetect here and press Enter.
    7. Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.
      Assuming that a missing or corrupt boot.ini file was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.
    Last edited by abseh1; 04-22-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post: