Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fd

Default Help needed on System

Hi,

I've a client with a Dell XPS M2010 system. He caught a virus and I was able to remove it (so says the scan) but there is a corrupt file and when it boots to windows I get a BSOD. It doesen't list the bad file and I've tried to repair using XP Repair Console. I booted using a Barts Boot Disk and tried its repair program but it says the drive is "RAW" and can't be locked. The client doesn't have the orginal disks and his data is on the drive. There appears to be a second HD on the machine which may have the original operating system (XP SP2) but he loaded SP3 at some point.

Any thoughts!!!!

Blog Entries

Dell will sell the recovery discs...not too expense

================================

Can you still get into Windows?

What is the error?

TRY the below "Check Disk"
    Hard drive problems

Allow the computer to cool before turning it on A hot hard drive may prevent the operating system from starting. Try allowing the computer to return to room temperature before turning it on.

Run Check Disk
    1. Click the Start button and click My Computer.

Right-click Local Disk C:.

Click Properties.

Click the Tools tab.

Under Error-checking, click Check Now.

Click Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
    2. Click Start.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

fd

I'm not able to get into windows. Once the windows splash screen appears it goes to BSOD. Windows doesn't list the error except to say that the system encountered a problem and had to shut down. I tried to repair using an XP SP2 install disk. It completed but following that the machine started going to BDOD. What does "RAW" refer to? I get that when I try to run check disk through Barts Boot CD.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can you get into safe mode?

Blog Entries

Raw means the drive or a partition is not formatted....seems maybe a partition is not formatted as you have been able to get to Windows ...even though it is corrupted

Raw is a term in music types too....but not to be confused with a RAW HDD or Partition

I will wait until you answer...arraknid

fd

Can't get into windows via any mode. The BSOD lists a 00000024 error code meaning a windows file is corrupt. Is it possible to repair it without having to reinstall XP? If I do need to reinstall how will it affect the programs already on the machine? Also since the orginal OS was XP SP2 and SP3 was installed as a patch which do I use?

Blog Entries

fd

Try running checkdisk first

Windows XP - Running Checkdisk from a Boot CD

=================================

Another option is to repair the MBR...I would try the above link and run checkdisk First if possible

Fixmbr....you can try and repair the MBR

If you can not get into the the f8 panel

Try...Repairing the master boot record of the boot disk.

The fixmbr command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console

I would try to repair the MBR with a Windows DVD....unless @ boot the recovery panel shows up you will need the windows disc

Once in the command area (looks similiar to an old dos panel) of the recovery panel...type fixmbr and click enter

Repair MBR info
    The partition's first sector is also known as the boot sector.

What the MBR is for entire drive, that boot sector is for an individual partition:

like the MBR, the boot sector contains information that the system needs to locate the materials that are needed to start the operating system.

A corrupt or missing boot sector is a serious problem. Without it the partition cannot be accessed.

Possible (but not all) symptoms are:
    Invalid media type reading drive
    Abort, Retry, Fail?
    File system is displayed as RAW
    Windows may ask if you want to format the drive
    File names contain weird characters
    Sector not found messages

More info here

Disclaimer: You stated this repair is for a client..warning any of the above fixes can cause serious problems to the computer
    If an invalid or nonstandard partition table signature is detected, you will be prompted whether you want to continue. If you are not having problems accessing your drives, you should not continue. Writing a new master boot record to your system partition could damage your partition tables and cause your partitions to become inaccessible.
    Last edited by abseh1; 03-28-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Blog Entries

The error codes you have could indicate a hardware problem too
    Either Disk
    Disk controller, disk cable or perhaps memory.
    Unfortunately it could be a failing HDD too...but there are still other checks to make

Try removing any unneeded hardware ...printers etc and see if it will boot
    Check the cd-rom drives for discs too...sometimes one is left in the rom drive....check the floopy disk too... if there is one
    Was any hardware like RAM etc recently added....it could be an issue?

Windows Memory Diagnostic
    The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

It will keep making passes ...so you will need to decide how many passes you want to make,,,then stop it
    Last edited by abseh1; 03-28-2010 at 07:37 AM.

fd

I've run chkdsk from the XP CD but I get the message about the drive bing "Raw". I just tried your suggestion about running fixboot but that didn't work. I'll try fixmbr after I pull some files off the machine.

Blog Entries

FD

I am trying to avoid clearing the recovery partition...thus all this added info
    You are positive that you can not acess the recovery partition @ boot...like with F10 or F12 etc....
    I will have to look up the manual for your model...if it has a recovery partition...some Dells come with CD's and others ask that you create them yourself

Normally a windows repair would do fine...if it was just Windows Corrupted
    But we do not want to screw up the partitions
    ==========================================
    There is another command ....but again it is used as a last resort in most cases...when Windows is corrupted but not when the HDD is failing..(because it is senseless if the HDD is bad)

It is called
    Fixboot

The drive that a boot sector will be written to will replace the system partition that you're currently logged on to. If no drive is specified, the boot sector will be written to the system partition that you're currently logged on to.
    What Is the Fixboot Command?:
    The fixboot command is a Recovery Console command that writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition that you specify
    ==========================================
    I have no personal knowledge of this site but they sell Linux discs for about $10...I believe
    (you need to make a bootable disc from an ISO file that they sell)
    Click here
    Last edited by abseh1; 03-28-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast