Default Random wireless internet speed

Hello!

I just got a new pc last monday, and it has Win7 home premium installed. This was a nice upgrade from my old xps600 (hehe). However, with my old xps, xp sp3 I've never had any problems regarding wireless internet. Times were about to change.

First off, I used my old PCI Wireless card, D-Link DWL-510, but I had switch to a TP, as my downloadspeed was VERY varying. My peak should be at 4.5mbit, but I got anything from 20kbit/s to 1500kbit/s. With TP I got right upto my peak and it stayed there, untill I unplugged it. The reason for having wireless is that my router is downstairs in the livingroom, and the computer is upstairs in my room. I did a lot of searching online, and ended up buying a new PCI wireless card, seeing it could just be the age of my previous one that was the problem.

This was however not the case, I now have a GIGABYTE AirCruiser G PCI Adapter, GN-WP01GS. My internet is still as varying as it was.

Signal strength varies from 4-5bars (out of 5).
    Wireless router: NETGEAR WPN824v2
    Network card: GIGABYTE AirCruiser G PCI Adapter GN-WP01GS
    Drivers: All up to date, downloaded and installed this for the PCI card. (Win7 compatible)

... I've also had a Windows VISTA laptop on this network by several occasions, and it has never resulted in any similar problem.

I've also contacted the company (komplett.com) I bought the computer from, and their only suggestion was to check the drivers.

I've been in contact with my network provider, and they say all is normal (which of course it would be seeing I get peak speed when I use a TP).

So I guess what I'm saying here is...

HELP.

Please ask and I will provide more information if needed.

Hi

It's a long thread and it mostly deals with not being able to connect at all, but there may be something that sheds some light on your particular problem.

See here Windows 7 wireless connection problem.

zep516

Okay...

After reading a couple of posts, this hit me.

What Worked:

So her we go.... I unchecked WMM (Wireless Multimedia ), Short GI (gaurd interval) and Extra Wireless protection ...... Rebooted the router and tried again with another torrent.... TADA... IT WORKED like a charm and still works.... My Speedtest results are much better over wireless now as well.. going from ~2Mb to 11Mb..

So the moral of the story is that my new SONY VAIO Vista 64bit had no issues with these settings but my Windows 7 does... Or something happend since I upgraded to Windows 7.... My whole reason of getting DLINK 655 was that my verrrry old Netgear couldn't handle 500+ connection with torrent and would die and i had to limit it to 100 connections ( a key number for some reason)....

I don't know why WMM or Short GI or Extra protection is not working with my laptop, or if ALL three are issue or just one ... Honestly, I don't want to know right now as I have spent too much time on this... But if you figure it out, let me know.... Also, let me know if one of the option is the culprit instead of all three...

Hope it resolves your issue as well.. I know how frustrating this issue is ... If you have a different router, find out where these settings are... Mine was under "Advance -> Advance Wireless" screen.
    But I can't seem to find any of those settings on my router... Any suggestions?

At this time I do not have another suggestion. Others certainly may though and be more familiar with that product.

I've read through the WHOLE thread, and it did not have any sufficient solutions to my problem.

Will try to get a win7 compatible router to see if it can make a difference.

Other than that I must say that windows' support is weak judging from the thread you linked me to.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is related to the V3 model, but cures the same problem as you are having, so may be worth a try.

Didn't work. I do have quite a lot of settings while connecting to the network via my Gigabyte Client Utility, think any of them can be a factor in this puzzle?

Okay, upgraded to D-Link DIR-635 today, but this did not solve the problem (even though it IS win7 compatible).

If anyone has any suggestions, please provide some help

Guys? Laides? Anything?