Default how to change computer username?

how do the change the computer username? when you open task manager and click processes, you see it says username, how do i change that ? here is a pic Imageshack - username.jpg

i tried going to panel control, then user accounts and change account name. that doesn't change my username

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's how it's done. Click on User Accounts, then Change an account. Click on your name, then Change my Name. Change your name in the text box, then click on Change Name button.

nothing happens when i change it.

Hi aaaaaa12589,

I tried this the other day on my Vista OS. No Joy! I ended up with a new acct. name, yet my Task Manager still had the former user name. I'm not sure if it can be done without tweaking the registry, as I found through researching the matter, and that didn't work for the other user either.

I found this in my research.

The Windows Task Manager is used for a variety of administrative purposes, including shutting down processes and programs, evaluating system performance and fast switching users. Microsoft first included the fast user switching feature in Windows XP and continues to offer the ability to change your user name in the Task Manager by logging off one account and signing on to another. Fast user switching is established by default in Windows Vista and in Windows 7. If you are using Windows XP, you will need to enable fast user switching through the Control Panel.
    In this link here > How to Change Your User Name in Task Manager | eHow.com

Creating a 2nd acct. and accessing the Fast User Switch seems to be the only way with out completely re-installing your OS and changing the Registered Owner.

What OS do you have? If I remember correctly, a few months ago you had Vista or Win7. Am I correct?

If I am incorrect concerning this procedure, one of the other dedicated members will correct me.
    Last edited by DonnaB; 04-04-2010 at 11:45 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Blog Entries

This It will work on WinXP, Vista and Win7
    You can disregard the company name because that was not an issue with your thread

What OS do you use?

How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Windows XP

Disclaimer:
    I avoided this post initially....because I do not like users using the registery...unless they realize the it can cause the OS to fail if done incorrectly

It will work on WinXP, Vista and Win7

Still.... I see no real point in changing the name from OWNER to another name ...JMHO
    This article discusses an undocumented and unsupported command-line parameter. Microsoft does not support or encourage the use of this parameter and provides this article as information only. Use this parameter at your own risk.
    Click Start, and then click Run. (depending on the OS)

In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

To change the company name, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.

To change the name of the registered owner, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.

Click Exit on the File menu to quit Registry Editor.

Edit: @ 11:59 PM EST..... MY bad....backup the registery first of course!!!!!
    Last edited by abseh1; 04-05-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

hi, i do have vista and win7.

i don't see why change the registeredorganization, i don't mind that. i realized that the registeredowner is the username i want to change but once i change the registeredowner in the registry, nothing happens to the task manager processes username. it still says the same thing.

Hi aaaaaa12589,

I also had found the info that abseh1 came across above concerning the registry fix. I agree with his disclaimer! I did not perform this procedure on my computer due to this comment I found.
    I followed the directions and changed the RegisteredOwner part to my name. I clicked OK, but the name in the task manager is still my dad's name. I went back to the RegisteredOwner thing and my name is there instead of my dad's. It didn't work.
    Quote found here > Logon Name Does Not Match Name in Task Manager in post #5. It also states that the only way to accomplish this is to reinstall your OS. The thread concerns an XP OS. I'm assuming it is the same for Vista & Win7 as well.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

so by changing the name in registeredowner in the registry, what am i accomplishing? would that mess up my computer?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why are you trying to do this? Is this a second-hand machine with someone else showing as the owner?

no, it is my computer. since it was new i had to go through the registration process and i put a name a now don't want it to show.