Default Going to square one

I have a two year old Dell desk top that has worked out well for me. That is until a Verizon tech remote accessed the system and changed some settings (not sure what) to 'improve' modem operation.

Since then I have been having non-stop problems with my Windows Vista program. Shut downs, pop up saying MS cannot access for updates and so on.

I have tried to find the changed settings, tried the reset system to previous dates and a PC tune up but nothing works.

I have transferred all my files to both disk and a memory stick. My plans are to reset my rig back to its original factory settings and reload all my Windows and printer programs.

Is this the best move?

What was the reason for contacting Verizon in the first place, was it due to connection problems with web sites?

Can you tell us a little more about the shut downs that occur, Any errors at that point? That sounds like a possible hardware issue, not a modem setting.

What Anti Virus program and Firewall are running?

Do you use a router?
    Last edited by zep516; 04-09-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks for the quick reply and a warning, I am not very computer savvy. So please bear with me.

I contacted Verizon because I was having connection problems to web via their high speed modem and unable send emails.

After looking over my system via remote I was told he had to make some setting changes. Now, this might not have been what started my problems, but they started about the same time. Also, about this same time my Control Panel just vanished.

The shut downs are where Windows pop up and say it has detected a problem with my computer and is shutting down, but it does not shut down all the way. I get a blue screen, with an end message that says Windows will contact me with a solution, but never does.

This is often preceded by a pop up that states that MS cannot access for updates. Now, I have closed firewalls for updates that never come and have downloaded two service packs but see no change.

The Anti Virus and Firewall are provided by Verizon. I also have Windows Defender.

My thought was that whatever settings may or may not have been changed, or any bug introduced that is causing this, would all be solved by just going back to the original factory settings.

If it is of any help, I am using Windows Vista Home Premium.

I think we we need to do a thorough check for malware first please see link and follow directions.

Help2Go - How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

It does sound like a malware issue to me also, which could have been causing the connection problems in the first place.

Pro's and Con's of a reinstal:

Pro: A reinstalation will kill the viruses
    Pro: It will also solve the problem of accumulated files over time, giving you a fresh canvas to work from, and install only the programs you use now.
    Con: You will never know what the actual problem was
    Con: You will need to download, update and install EVERY program you are going to use. This could take a few days to achieve.

This is just a basic Pro/Con list, but gives you an idea for an informed decision.
    If you do go down the reinstalation route, make sure you have the instalation disks for each of your programs, their product keys (If applicable), as well as any drivers you may need for your hardware, downloaded and burned to a disk before the format.
    Also make a note of any usernames and passwords you use, just incase you need them.

If this sounds daunting, follow the link in Zep's post, and he'll be willing to help you over in the spyware forum.

A reinstalation is sometimes a good idea, if you know how
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As this has been referred to the Spyware Help forum, the thread will now be closed.