Default used Recovery on wind xp

I was having a problem with very slow loading of pages all of a sudden. Then one day last week, the pc would not boot up. I finally hit the F11 key when it showed and did a Recovery.

After that the pc booted up. The recovery put all of the files in my C drive as backup files . I have xp and all the updates and had to download and install IE 7 again. I had to reinstall some of my personal programs and a few files from the backup files. But.. the system still loads very s...l...o..w..l..y!!! It is driving me insane..I hit refresh, but it still loads slowly, finally the page will show, but it takes a long time. I checked m/softs support and they had a fix with the manage add ons.To diable all the add ons and active x files and enable them one at a time to see if there was a problem. did that, no change, still had the problem. I did a spyware, malwarebyte,registry check too. all ok, if anything found it was fixed. This am I used a new free program this morning from ccleaner called "easy fix tools." it found LOTS of problems, but I only allowed it to fix 20 for free. I had to purhase the program to fix all it found. I am not sure that would be the answer.

I am wondering if the problem is still somewhere in the backup files the recovery removed (?) and if I could or should delete this file?? Are the backup files still needed to run the computer or programs?

I also saw a suggestion in one of your posts earlier to check the event viewer. I did. It showed errors in a program as your-66-4EBD2A......etc. I am sure it is a registry file, but not sure how to find where it is in the registry or how to fix it.

questions I have: Can I and should I delete the backup files on the C drive from the recovery?
    How can I fix this slow, slow, slow loading of pages?
    Should I give up trying to fix the problem and just take the pc to a
    pro (geek squad)and see if they can fix it?
    Should I have the hard drive wiped clean by them and start all over?

I appreciate your suggestions and any help I receive.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try downloading another browser, like Chrome or Firefox and see if the problem continues.

Let us know.

EDIT>>> Can you also explain this...

I used a new free program this morning from ccleaner called "easy fix tools." it found LOTS of problems, but I only allowed it to fix 20 for free. I had to purhase the program to fix all it found.
    As`far as I'm aware, there's no such program!
    Last edited by arraknid; 04-12-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Stand by for other's input, but from what I have gathered, it is best to do a clean install when installing Windows 7 (backup all your personal files to disk, re format drive and then install win 7). I'm not running 7, so wait for other's input.

thankyou. I have firefox installed. It is strange, because if I shut down and reboot up, the pc is fine for a short time for all the uploading pages.
    however, it starts to slow down after a short time and then all the pages and browsers are slow to upload too. thankyou for your response. As for the easy fix program, it is a registry program at easyfixtools.com I found it on google.com.

thankyou for your response. I think I may have confused you. I was saying I installed InternetExplorer 7, not windows 7 program. When I did the recovery, it only had Internet explorer 6, so I downloaded ie7 and installed it, as I had that before the problems.

Blog Entries

This sounds like a problem with the router/modem, but you should first try to eliminate computer problems. Find a friend and test his machine on your setup. Also try yours on his connection. If the problem is your connection, you should contact your ISP. There may be new firmware available for the router/modem, or you may need to change settings. You could also try the old trick of disconnecting the router/modem from the mains and your computer, wait a few minutes then reconnect.

As far as using registry cleaners, we do not recommend their use unless you understand the scan results. You could end up trashing your machine.

Arrakind:
    your reply was right on the money. I did as you suggested and used my neighbors computer to connect with my pc. it worked fine. So, I called
    my server and they "walked" me through the settings. they were not configured correctly. (I guess when I did the recovery, something went askew?)
    It is working real fast connecting and uploading the pages now. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help with this. Nice to know there is some place to go for help when a problem crops up. will recommend.

Blog Entries

The latter part of this thread has been transferred here.

I used a quick scan as I had done a full scan a few days before. Here is the log file from the full scan.Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
    Malwarebytes

Database version: 3957

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

4/9/2010 3:40:43 PM
    mbam-log-2010-04-09 (15-40-43).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
    Objects scanned: 109632
    Time elapsed: 31 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Blog Entries

Please post your log to the thread started in Spyware help. This thread will be closed.