Default How do I empty my D/E Drive?

Hi,

My D drive shows only 4% free space and when I try to run a CD game, it will start but then crash a few minutes later. I can only assume it's because I have no free space. When I analyze if it needs defragmenting, the program says it does not need to be defragmented. I've uninstalled all but one game but it hasn't freed up any space at all. What do I need to do?? Thanks for any help!

It's the D drive that shows 4% available and when I load a game disc, the E drive shows the disc with 0 bytes free space, no matter which game I load. I did try to run the defrag on the D drive and got a message saying it needed 15% to run and there is only 4% available, so it wouldn't run correctly.
    Last edited by IggyKatz; 04-16-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Update

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Depending on the size of your hard drive, it's usually accepted that you should try to maintain at least 15% free space. Your Windows defragger won't run with less than 15%, so you need to gain as much space as possible.

Start by going to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel and uninstall anything you don't use. Then, go to your My Documents file and delete anything you no longer need. You mention your E drive in the post Header, so you could transfer files there if you wish, or save to a flash drive or CD.

Next download and install CCleaner and run the Clean option which will clean all of the accumulated temporary files, etc., out of your system. Do not run the Regisry option which could cause major problems with your system!!

With so little free space, it's unlikely that you don't need to defrag your HD, so do it any way. As previously mentioned, you will need 15% free space.

The problem with playing your CD game may be RAM related - as in, you don't have enough! Can you please supply specs of your system with details of your operating system, service pack details and amount of installed RAM. Those details can be found by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties. Look under the General tab.

Details of the game would also help.

Also let us know which Operating System your using, as the D: may actually be a recovery partition, and is usually a partition of the main hard drive not meant for general use.

What amount of free space does your C: show?
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Default More...

OK, great! I have uninstalled everything I don't need, got rid of all toolbars, deleted pictures and other files. There are a couple of programs that I wonder if I need or not though; HP Photo Imaging 2.0 - Deskjet series is taking up 26.10MB and I no longer have a deskjet, I guess I could get rid of that? And something called Python? There are 2, 2.2 Pywin32 extensions (build 203) and Python 2.2.3, each of those take the same amount of space, 29.28MB. Could one be a dup of the other?

I am familiar with clearing my caches, temp files (temp, %temp% and prefetch) and running the disk cleanup utility... Would I still need the CCleaner you recommended? I'd be happy to if it will help, I just want to make sure I'm not duplicating efforts.

My system is XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. Compaq Presario, Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz, 2.80GHz, 960MB of RAM.

The only game I still have installed is Civilization IV, which I understand is a pretty big game.

As of this moment, my C drive shows 204 GB free space out of 224GB total.

Please... let me know if there's any other info I can provide! Thanks again

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I read your post, so may have given you erroneous info. We have a lot of instances where D drive contains the operating system rather than C drive, but as Mr Darn rightly points out, your D drive may well contain reinstallation data which can't be removed. As E is your CD/DVD drive, it can't be cleaned and shows zero because there's no space available on the disk.

As you are showing just 960Mb of RAM, your graphics card is using 64Mb (960 + 64 = 1024Mb = 1Gb) which would tend to indicate that you either have a very old card fitted, or more likely, you are using the graphics chip included on the main board. That will support general day to day graphics requirements such as playing videos, etc, but will really struggle with games like Civilization.

If you are a serious gamer, you should consider installing a much better card with its own memory cache, and maybe even more RAM.

Just a small point, if you decide to amend info in your original post, please do so with a further post. The info you show now after editing would have been useful to know at the beginning!!