Default Increasing Virtual Memory

I have a dinosaur of a computer and I can't afford a new one, but she does what I need,e-mails and surfing the net. I need to increase my virtual memory but I don't know what Maximum parameters to input. My C drive space has remained unchanged for years Here is my system info:
    Win 2000 pro 5.0 2195 Service Pack4 Build 2195-Latitude CSx H500xt laptop-x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3 genuine-Total Physical Mem 261,600 KB-Avail Physical Mem 129,936 KB-Total Virt 892,104KB
    Avail Virtual 500,224-Page file space 630,504

Drive C page file size 382 - 764(my input)
    C drive 7787MB space avail
    Reco min 382 Current allocat 382
    current registry 22MB
    Max reg size 70MB (in a window) I'd appreciate any advice. Gratefully yours, uhoh308

Hi uhoh308,

Found this concerning your Latitude CSx H500xt laptop.
    Memory Upgrade for Dell Latitude CSx H500XT Laptop, the Dell Latitude CSx H500XT Laptop takes the PC100 SDRAM SODIMM Memory Type, and comes installed with 64 MB (non-removable) of Memory. You can upgrade your Dell Latitude CSx H500XT Laptop to up to a maximum of 320 MB Memory, the system has 1 socket to install Memory, already with 64 MB (non-removable) standard Memory installed. For best Laptop performance use the maximum amount of allowed Memory per slot for your Laptop.
    Choose the following Memory Upgrade for Dell Latitude CSx H500XT Laptop.
    See link > Latitude CSx H500XT Memory - Upgrade Dell H500XT Latitude CSx Laptop Memory

I'll let one of our more experienced Memory experts guide you on this issue from here.

But, something you may want to know, is that on July 13th, 2010, Micro Soft will no longer support the Windows 2000 OS. Which means you will no longer be able to receive updates for your machine. See link > Windows 2000 End-of-Support Solution Center

And from what I gather, due to the limited amount of physical memory, you may not even be able to spend a few dollars to upgrade to the XP SP3 OS. So surfing the net may leave you vulnerable to infection, yet e-mails would be safe as long as you don't receive any infected attachments. I wouldn't be doing any online Banking, shopping, or any type of financial transactions with that machine either.

I'll let one of our more experienced experts with that system verify my findings, as well.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You are currently exceeding the recommended setting for virtual memory, though only slightly. Having too high a VM will actually slow things down because the system will be moving larger amounts of data back and forth on the HD.

You say you need to increase the VM, but why? Are you being told it's too low via a system message?

The best way to improve things is to increase the physical RAM itself. For that age of machine, it's very cheap and adding more will help. If you only have the one slot, upping it to the maximum would be another option.

VM is there as a reserve when needed, not to be used constantly as a replacement for physical RAM.

The bottom line is your machine is very old and not really up to running modern memory-intensive applications.
    Last edited by arraknid; 04-17-2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: modified detail to take account of DonnaB's post.

Thank you for your help DonnaB and arraknid, I've already got the max ram. I've learned never make changes to my system without consulting experts like yourselves. I assumed I was getting the maximum out of what I have and I guess i am.

Thankfully yours uhoh308