Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Services detects my laptop as being in safe mode....

....Every time a service, (local), is started, an error messagee is received saying "Error 1804, Service cannot be started in safe mode". Is there something that can be done to correct this problem?

Thanks.

Bob I.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's usually the result of having malware on the computer that has reset certain registry values. Have you had any malware problems lately?

You can try to reset the values, as described in the third para of this post, which may help.

Hi, thanks for trying to help me...but I need a more specified "walkthrough" on your post. (Could not find HKCU - environment, and HKLM - system - currentcontrolset - sessionmanager - environment. After rebooting however, the keys re-appeared until I removed the key OPTION(S?) at every occurrence of "Safeboot" under HKLM - Controlset001, Controlset002 ).

Thank You...

Blog Entries

It sounds as though some of the registry entries have been deleted and need reinstating. If you haven't already done so, try a System Restore to a point before the problem appeared.

You could also try running a .reg file containing the necessary entries, but make sure you set a Restore point before doing so. This link has a .zip file at the bottom of the page which contains .reg files for XP SP2, XP SP3, Server 2003 and Windows 2000 SP4. Extract the one that fits your system and run it by double clicking it.

You should be aware that major changes to the registry can be risky, so be sure to back up as much as possible.

You didn't answer my question about having malware problems. If the malware is still present, you will continue to have this problem until your machine is clean. Before doing anything, I would advise you to follow the instructions shown here. Trying to repair a still-infected machine is rather pointless.

Angry I still have issues with starting services...

...not only can I not get any services started, my audio doesn't work, windows installer is inoperative, cannot log into hotmail using IE, (but works on other browsers OK). Please note!! I Do NOT have any viruses or such in that I had that ALL checked out through the use of SuperAntispyware, MalwareBytes, Ad-Aware, and even the "Microsft Malicious Software Scanner Tool"...So I'm asking for your much needed help...Thanks and Take Care.

Bob I. Pittsfield, Massachusetts, USA
    Last edited by mrr107i; 04-22-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Blog Entries

I've moved your latest post to your original thread so we can see the whole story.

When you try to start a service, what do you get? Is there an error message?

If you are happy working in the registry, navigate to the following key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Right click on the Services folder in the left pane and select Permissions. You should see NO selections in the Deny column. If there are, deselect them, click on Apply, OK and close the window.

Let us know.

I had the suggeston you made checked out ...it is OK. There were no selections in the deny colums of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services....Thank You.

Blog Entries

As per my previous post, are you still getting error notices popping up when trying to start a service? Is it still the same one or different?

Yes, there are still error notices popping up when a service is started...

Thank You

Blog Entries

Did you do this as previously suggested?

You could also try running a .reg file containing the necessary entries, but make sure you set a Restore point before doing so. This link has a .zip file at the bottom of the page which contains .reg files for XP SP2, XP SP3, Server 2003 and Windows 2000 SP4. Extract the one that fits your system and run it by double clicking it.
    Another thought....are the following Services started and set to Automatic?

Event Log
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Security Accounts Manager
    Last edited by arraknid; 04-24-2010 at 05:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast