Thread: CPU fan problem

Default CPU fan problem

My old CPU fan died and PC shut down. I cleaned off the old thermal grease with alchohol, then installed the new CPU fan with new thermal grease. The PC gets to the "Windows XP" screen then reboots. As a test, I removed the new CPU fan and re-booted and the PC booted successfully. I quickly shut down for fear of cooking the CPU. I reinstalled the fan and have the same problem. BIOS shows the fan running and CPU temp at 68F. I have an Intel e7300 processor, fan says "for Intel dual core 65W Conroe Family Processors." Could it be the wrong fan?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You obviously have a working system which fails only when the fan is connected. The fact that BIOS is able to monitor the fan speed and temperature would indicate that your connections are correct, but just be sure you've connected to the CPU fan connector and not the case fan connector which are usually the same configuration.

There should be a setting in BIOS to have the fan running 'always on', which will bypass the Auto setting. Try that and see if it helps.

You say the old fan died. Did it just stop working, was it noisy, what?

You could also try posting on an Intel forum, like this one, and see if someone can shed any light on the problem.

Default CPU fan update

arraknid - thank for the reply. My old fan stopped spinning with no warning (noise or otherwise). I was positive that the new fan was connected correctly. I ended up replacing the motherboard with a Gigabyte GA-G41M and the system booted without issue. I did have to do a repair of Windows which took about an hour. After numerous (70+) XP SP2 updates, I am back up and running with no loss of data or programs. The hardest part was getting the Windows install 'certified' by Microsoft. The LAN connection wasn't being detected (hence could not authenticate over the Web) so I had to use the "Telephone" option. This took 5 minutes and I was up an running.