Default Toshiba laptop with swiviling screen

My toshiba laptop stopped working one day. Had a friend look at it and he said the screen got turned one too many times and the wires ripped. He said we could hook it up to a regular monitor but it then occured to us that the power button is on the swivil screen. Is there any way to turn it on? Any way it can be fixed or even just temporary enough to turn on once and leave it on?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can you give us the model number of the laptop?

Satellite R15-S829

Blog Entries

I was afraid you'd say that! That model is particularly difficult to get into, and if it was possible to find out which 2 wires are connected to the switch, something could be rigged up, but choosing the incorrect ones could cause serious problems.

Your best bet is to take it somewhere for repair. Once opened up, repairing/replacing the wiring should be pretty simple.

so, if said friend tried fixing it and then "fried the motherboard" would it be worth fixing or just buying a new one? Maybe even suggest a good(but cheaper) replacement laptop? I've had this one 4 years.

Blog Entries

If the battery is removed and there's no power connection, it would certainly be possible for your friend to remake the broken connections, without any danger of damaging vital components, simply by following the existing cable colours.

Having said that, that model is quite difficult to take apart without detailed instructions and I couldn't find any in Google. But, if your friend is that way inclined, why not let him try? The machine isn't usable anyway.

FYI, once the motherboard of a laptop is dead, it isn't worth repairing, but that shouldn't apply here.

EDIT>>> I just found this which may help.