Thread: Silverlight?

Default Silverlight?

I have my computer set to NOT automatically update. Today I find that yesterday (Saturday 4-24-2010) a program called "Silverlight" was downloaded to it. It says microsoftsilverlight. I uninstalled it. Does anyone here know what it is, or what it does? It claims to be a tool for developers or something like that. I don't trust things that just decide that I need them. I run XP if that makes a difference.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

That's Microsoft for you. It was probably installed when doing a 'Windows Update'. When next in the updates, click on the info of silverlight and check the box 'to hide'.

I tried to do something today that offered me silverlight. When downloading the .exe, my computer told me I already had a file by that name. When executing it I found a note that said that it automatically updates itself. No wonder it sounded somewhat kind of familiar. Sorry for the question. Thanks for the help anyway.

I, too, was stymied by this update to the point that I needed to know more info. about it than Microsoft offered. So, I went to Ask Leo! I like the way he explains things in layman terms. I also see this "enticing advertisement" when I access some Microsoft sites! It pops up as a thin banner in blue at the top of the page.

No need to apologize for your question! Many will learn from it!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"