Thread: function key

Default function key

I have an ASUS K50 Best Buy laptop and I need to know which function key inables the touchpad, as I have a wireless device. I have accidently hit a key and its frustrating.

Thanks

Hi nanapapa,

Try the combination of Fn+F9 keys to see if that will enable the touchpad. May I ask what you mean by "wireless device?" Do you mean that you have a wireless mouse connected to the laptop?

You can also access the control panel with your keyboard shortcuts by pressing the combination of your Ctrl + Esc keys. From there you can navigate with the arrow keys to the Control Panel, then on to the Mouse icon with arrow keys, as well. You will have to then choose the Device Settings tab to enable/disable from there. But, for some reason, I can't find a way to choose that tab without the access of the pointer on my touchpad itself.

I'm hoping one of the other dedicated members here at Help2Go may know how to direct us in that function. I will continue my search on how to access tabs without the use of the pointer and keep you informed.

Meanwhile, here's a nice link that will educate you on Keyboard shortcuts for Windows.

Please, keep us informed with your progress.

Thank you,
    Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 04-25-2010 at 11:25 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Default Thanks

thank you I had already tried the Fn+F9 keys, for some reason it is still not disengaging the touchpad.

nanapapa,
    I had posted above that in your Mouse Properties you had to choose the Pointer Options incorrectly. It's actually the Device Settings where you enable/disable the touch pad. Sorry about that. I did EDIT that post for the correction.

Do you have access to another USB external keyboard that you can connect to your computer to access the Mouse Properties through the Control Panel? I see several others have had this same issue with the Fn + F9 shortcut, as well. But, I'm still searching for the solution. I'll keep you informed.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

nanapapa,

One solution is to press Windows button on keyboard. When the start menu pops up, use your arrow keys to navigate to the Control Panel. Press Enter key. When the Control Panel pops up, navigate using your arrow keys to the Mouse icon. Press Enter again. Now ,when Mouse Properties window pops up, use your Tab key to navigate to the tabs at the top of the window, then the arrow keys to navigate through the tabs to the Device Settings tab. The tabs should open as you navigate through them. Once there use the Tab key to navigate to the enable button. Press Enter.
    Please Note: This was accomplished on the Vista OS.

Let me know if you have success, or a different OS.

Good Luck!

EDIT:
    You may be able to get the touchpad enabled by going through this process as well.

Windows key > R > type in devmgmt.msc > Enter
    (In Vista you will have to press Enter after Run pops up in dialog box at the top. May be the same in Win7.)

Once it's open, press Tab to highlight the computer name and use the arrows to navigate to mice and other pointing devices (using the right arrow to expand). The Device that's disabled may have a red X next to it. Then press the Alt key on your keyboard to then be able to navigate and select "Action" from the menu at the top. In the drop down box, choose properties. Enter. Hit Tab to access tabs at the top. Right Arrow to Driver, Tab down to select "Enable" from the options.

We may have to "tweak" the instructions a bit to accommodate the OS you have on the laptop.

Also, there are some laptops that are hardwired to not allow both the touchpad and an external mouse to be running at the same time. If you have a mouse connected, turn the computer off, disconnect the mouse, and then turn the computer on to see if the touchpad works then.
    Please keep us informed to your progress.

The above information was provided to me from one of our other dedicated members >>> NeonFx

Thanks NeonFx!

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 04-26-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: grammar, add info