Default Dell 1100 won't connect to Charter broadband

My sister has a Dell Dimension 1100 with XP Home. Her email through Charter quit working so she called Charter and a guy there had her do a bunch of stuff to the computer, and then it wouldn't even connect to go online any more. So he said he didn't know what to do. She called Microsoft, they said go to Dell. She finally got Dell to send XP discs to reinstall, which I did, so it has a new install of XP. It still didn't work. Called Dell again, the guy refused to answer any questions unless we paid him $70 and he hung up on us after we refused to pay. I then talked to a girl from Charter who tried to help, we found there was no IP address showing on the computer and we couldn't do anything to get one. So it still won't connect. Charter said the modem is working, they even sent a guy out, but he said he didn't know what to do to the computer. Can anyone help?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dell and MS won't want to know about your problem. Your argument is with Charter whose online help seem to have caused the problem of not being able to go online! Without knowing the full details of what was done, it's hard to comment.

What you can do is try some basic stuff to see if it's possible to pin down the cause. If you've changed nothing since the reinstall of XP, we can probably rule that out.

First thing is to click on Start, Run and copy/paste the following into the text box and click on OK.

cmd /k ipconfig

In the window that opens, do you see anything listed? Do you get an error message?

Try going to Control Panel and clicking on Network Connections. Do you see anything under LAN or High-Speed Internet?

Look at the connector where the ethernet cable enters the computer. There should be a small light showing as green or amber. If not, you may need to Enable the Network Interface Controller.

To do that you'll need to go into System Setup (BIOS). Start the computer and when you see the Dell screen, press F2. That'll open the BIOS screen. All BIOS layouts are different, but you need to look for Integrated Devices which will have a setting for Network Interface Controller. Change to Enabled and press F10, confirm changes and restart the machine.

Let us know how things go.

Default Dell 1100 won't connect to Charter broadband

Thanks arraknid for your suggestions. You're right it was Charter who screwed it up. There is a connection to Charter's line, two of my Mac laptops got online through her connection with no problem, so it is in her computer. The Charter girl did have me check the ipconfig and there was nothing there. It just showed 'docume/and the name of the computer', something like that, no ip address.

Last night looking at a bunch of forums I see it's fairly common problem with Dell's, and I got the idea it may be the driver for a network card? I found a driver on Dell's site that appeared to be that so downloaded it, I think, but didn't get over to her computer today to try it.

The ethernet cable was glowing when hooked in her computer. I will try your suggestion of enabling the network controller, I'm sure that wasn't tried the other day.

Thanks. I'll tell you what happens when I can get over there and try it.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The driver would have been the next step which hopefully will sort things. If the light is glowing on the cable connection, the NIC is already enabled, so no need to go into BIOS.

If you right click on My Computer and select Properties, that'll open a window. Click on the Hardware tab, then Device Manager, then look down the list for Network Adapters and click on the + sign. Your NIC should be listed there. If you see a yellow exclamation mark, that denotes a problem, most probably no driver.

This is all very basic stuff, so it's amazing that the guy they sent out didn't know what to do, even if he was from your ISP! One would have thought that his training would stretch to enabling aspects of the computer to work with the modem.

Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

Thanks again. Probably won't have a chance to try anything until the weekend, but I will do as you suggest. I thought too the guy should have known more, why send him out.

Thanks again. I got it working today finally. There were yellow question marks actually, where there should be drivers and when I clicked on them it said they were missing. Which is what I assumed the other day. However, the driver I downloaded and put on a usb stick seemed to disappear when I tried putting it on the computer. But by searching the drive I found some drivers that installed, there were video and audio drivers missing too. That phone tech guy really had her delete stuff apparently. After I installed them it still didn't work though so finally I called Charter again and got a girl who knew something. I had looked around in everything and found an ip number now and also noticed every time I tried getting online it seemed to want to dial up rather than go on broadband and I saw an icon for dialing, I thought, but was unsure of deleting it. But when talking to the girl she said to do that, and then it worked fine. So it was more than one thing I believe, but that first guy my sister talked to really seems to have to screwed it up good. I really appreciate your help though. I've learned I really don't like Windows though, what a convoluted mess it all is. I'll gladly stick with my Macs.