Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator Forum Moderator JohnB151's Avatar

Default iPod Touch wi-fi problems

Hi,

Two days ago I bought a iPod Touch 8gb version 3.1 and it is working fine apart from the Wi-fi connection.

I can connect to my router and the information will show as follows:
    IP Address: 10.0.0.1
    Subnet Mas: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 10.0.0.138
    DNS: 10.0.0.138
    Search Domains: lan
    Client ID:
    It also shows signal strength and nothing seems to be wrong but then when I go to Safari I cannot browse and also Weather and Stock/Shares information won't load.

I can reach my router with Safari in the iPod so I guess it has something to do with DNS, Search Domains or Client ID.

Does anybody have an idea of what I should change?

Thanks in advance,
    John.

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey John,

A few things you should check:
    Do you have any other devices that connect to your Wifi? If so, check them and see if they are getting an IP in the 10.0.0.x range and what the DNS settings are.

On your Touch, open Safari and type in
    Code:
    http://147.9.1.100
    - if you are connected to the American University home page, then we know that you have a good network connection on your Touch, and the issue is DNS. If you cannot connect to that site, it means that your Wifi router is not bridging your connection between the Wifi and the Internet properly.

Does your computer connect to this same Wifi router? Or is the Wifi router separate from your broadband router?
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do get the American University website. I have been looking for my DNS IP all over my router settings but could not find it anywhere. Also, my other computers do use the router as DNS but for some reason I have the idea that this is why my iPod would not browse.

There are no other wi-fi devices although I do have a laptop connected to the router wireless. It uses the same settings.

My computers use the same router as my iPod.

What I don't know is what 'Search Domains' means. It automatically fills in 'lan' but maybe that should be something else..

Tried the general support already but that all is not too interesting, just renewing lease, resetting settings, etc.

I am letting DHCP configure the settings, by the way.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try accessing the router and enabling DHCP and NAT. You'll need to do it from one of the wired machines. Start your browser and enter one of the following until the settings page opens.

192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.100.1, 192.168.1.100

If you get a window asking for user name and password, enter admin for both. Also disable anything related to MAC address filtering.

Osc
    Blog Entries

The router looks to be on the 10.0.0.x subnet, so your best bet to reconfigure the router is to try 10.0.0.138 in your browser.
    The specific entry you would be looking to change is the DNS entry on your router.

HOWEVER - the easiest fix for you is to just manually input the DNS settings in your Touch. This provides the added bonus that the device contacts the DNS servers directly, without using your Wifi router as a DNS proxy.
    Go into Settings -> Wifi -> choose your Wifi network
    Touch the DNS line and remove 10.0.0.138
    Instead, type in your preferred DNS server IP addresses, separated by a space. I prefer:

4.2.2.2 8.8.8.8

The 4.2.2.2 address is a Verizon DNS server that is a root level server that provides fast responses for me. The 8.8.8.8 address is the new Google DNS server.

DNS response time depends on where you are in the world and what ISP you use. If you are looking for a fast DNS server for you, try this utility:
    namebench - Project Hosting on Google Code

By the way, Search Domains allows you to access local (same network) resources by just typing in the first name. So if you had a computers on your network named server1.john.net and server2.john.net, you would type in john.net as your search domain. Then you could just access those resources by typing server1 and server2, rather than the whole domain name. This setting is useless in most non-corporate environments.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

On my router (10.0.0.138 in browser indeed) there is no setting about DNS, only one about Dynamic DNS which is switched off.

Tried 4.2.2.2 8.8.8.8 in iPod as DNS and it worked better but still in a lot of cases the request just times out with full strength signal sitting next to the router.

Namebench said 10.0.0.138 as DNS is way better than the alternatives.

Two things:
    - I have a silicon case around the iPod which does not seem to affect the signal.
    - I am not using the regular iPod earplugs.
    Those don't influence connectivity, right?

Osc
    Blog Entries

The case and the earplugs won't affect your connectivity - you're right about that.

Our best bet is to find out what your computer is using for DNS and use that instead. Which ISP are you using at home? Maybe we can find out the DNS server your ISP recommends.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Our ISP is a Dutch one called 'Online' (don't know how they got this original name). This is where you can find the information:

Although it is in Dutch you may recognize 'Primary DNS' and 'Secondary DNS'. Entered them in my iPod with a space in between and it does not make a difference. Accessing my router works perfect and fast and accessing domains outside my network (either through URL or IP) makes it time out. Guess I will have to have a friend come over to see if his works and/or call my ISP what is wrong out there.

Edit: Sometimes Google for instance loads very fast on my iPod and sometimes it does not at all so there really is something wrong with my ISP I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast