Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to Win 7 - LiveMail will not send/receive emails.

Hi all,

The Inlaws have bought a new laptop to do video Skype calls to the grandkids interstate. It came preloaded with Win 7. It is using Virgin Mobile Broadband to connect to the WWW and can do so fine. I can also send/receive mail at the Virgin mailserver.

I have installed AVG free and uninstalled Norton Antivirus and Norton Backup ( I've had bad slowdowns with Norton products in the past...).

I have installed the Live Pack(?) software including Windows Live Mail. Unfortunately it will not work. I have triplechecked the POP3 settings with Virgin and they are supposedly good.

The error;

" Unable to send or receive messages for the Virginbroadband.com (xxxxxxxxxxxx) account. The connection to the server has failed.
    Server: 'mail.virginbroadband.com.au'
    Windows Live Mail error id : 0x800ccc0e
    Protocol : Pop3
    Port : 995
    SSL : Yes
    Socket Error : 10061 "

I have posted on the boards at MS support, but no reply has been forthcoming, thought I might try here where answers come from the heart instead of the wallet (vbg).

Should I just bin it and go with Thunderbird instead? I have used Outlook Express for ages and it does me, unfortunately it seems not to work with a 64bit OS.

Any help will be warmly welcomed.

Its looking like the initial connection to the server is failing before it connects.

Have you checked the newly installed Live Mail has been allowed through the windows firewall?

Do you have a firewall other than the one included in windows? ie with your antivirus, or a stand-alone one such as commodo?

also, is this address correct?:
    mail.virginbroadband.com.au
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Thanks for the reply MrDarn,

I had not looked at the Windows firewall, LiveMail was not in the list, so I put it in and checked the boxes for public and private network access, still no joy.

The .au is correct.

No other firewall is installed and I will be uninstalling AVG Free to see if that makes a difference - although it shouldn't. :-(

AVG Free is now uninstalled and the W7 firewall is off, no change.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@ MrDarn FYI, the .au suffix denotes the poster is located in Australia.

@ w3a51l I wonder if you've contacted Virgin and explained the problem? For instance, they may require a different port to be used and may not require SSL protocols.

Hi arraknid,

Virgin support are not interested. They have comfirmed that the ports etc. are what they use for sending mail to and from their end and that is where the "support boundary ends, I'm sorry sir". GRRRRR!

They do not support customers using WLM because it is "too new". Is there some sort of logfile I can access to post here?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If Virgin say the settings are correct, I suppose we have to accept that.

You could also try deleting all current settings, restarting WLM and starting again. If still no joy, try entering any port number, save settings, then edit to change the port number back to the original. That works sometimes.

Another option is to set up Thunderbird with the same settings and see if the problem repeats. It'll at least tell you where the problem lies - hopefully!

Thanks arraknid, I'll get back on here with the results tomorrow.

Blog Entries

For live mail try changing SMTP setting to be 587 and setting Authentication to be enabled

If that does not work...delete the setup and start over with SMTP using port 587

As you know one simple mistake and the server will not work....by that I mean omitting one letter or period etc

Edit @ 9:30 EST
    Also, check This server requires a secure connection (SSL) and try 995

I do not use Virgin but since it is working this should access the Windows Live Server
    Either way you do need SSL checked in Live Mail
    (Try with and without SSL checked...most imap need it some pop3 do not)
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-02-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Yaaay! It's working!

I tried changing the settings one at a time and eventually it worked on send and receive. It is now set to logon using clear text authentication instead of APOP, POP3 port = 110 ( changed by itself when I changed the SSL box ) and SSL is unticked.

Despite my overwhelming joy at this apparent win, I can't help the nagging feeling that these settings may be less secure than those recommended by Virgin. The inlaws won't be sending credit card numbers or AUSTEO defence information via email, but could this leave them vulnerable in some way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast