Default Operating System CD Question

Hello. I have an older Sony laptop that has XP Pro installed. I've had a few recent problems with this laptop. It's had some virus's on it and in multiple attempts to "clean" the computer some program files have been deleted or damaged. So I'm at the point that I want to reinstall XP Pro. But, of course, I am not able to locate my Sony XP Pro disk. However, I have a HP desktop and I do have the XP Pro operating system disk for it.

So my question is, can I use the HP disk to reinstall XP Pro on my Sony laptop?? Or do I have to use a "Sony" disk on the Sony laptop?? Thanks in advance.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The simple answer is maybe! A lot of recovery disks are tied to the machine they were designed for, but some will work. It may only accept the HP serial, which isn't any good if that's already been used, or may take the Sony serial. Only way to find out is try it.

If you can still start the machine, I wonder of you still have access to the Recovery Media Kit wizard, which should be somewhere under All Programs. Maybe the Sony entry. That would create a new reinstallation disk.

Have you tried tapping the F10 key when starting up? You may have reinstallation files on a drive partition and possibly be able to choose a reinstall from there.

Ok, I'll check later today when I get home. I know that there isnt a recovery partition on the hard drive, but I'll have to check on the recovery wizard and let you know. Thanks.