Default Quirky Page Jumping in Firefox with Adsense

I have a quirky problem, and it exists with many of my sites. It involves Firefox browser, as well as Chrome.

Here are the conditions of the website pages that have problems:

1. Page is fixed width, centered in the browser
    2. Google AdSense is present on the page
    3. Browser is either Firefox or Chrome. Internet Explorer doesn't present any problems.

When the page with the above conditions is loaded, the page shows up at the RIGHT of the browser, then shifts to it's proper location in the center of the browser. This occurs every time a page with adsense is loaded, and can be irritating going page to page.

An example for my site is here:

AdSense Page Shift Test

Please use Firefox browser, maximized on a monitor with a greater width than 1024.

There are five working tabs with examples, four of them have adsense on them. The one without adsense does NOT jump, and I'd like all the pages to emulate it.

I"d appreciate any direction to solving the problem. Firefox and Chrome are rapidly increasing in popularity, and I'd like to solve this rather quirky problem.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Rantwire and welcome to Help2Go. I followed your directions, and was only able to duplicate your problem once. I refreshed, shut down, minimized and maximized and could not repeat the shifting.... go figure. I'm going to get the attention of a couple of our members to check this out, so please bear with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Hi Rantwire and welcome to Help2Go. I followed your directions, and was only able to duplicate your problem once. I refreshed, shut down, minimized and maximized and could not repeat the shifting.... go figure. I'm going to get the attention of a couple of our members to check this out, so please bear with us.
    Thanks, Canuck...that was fast! I appreciate it! Just to clarify that your browser is wider than the page width (~1024 px) when you looked for the shift. This happens to me on every computer with Firefox that I try. I'm thinking that I have to put a container DIV tag of some sort, but haven't found the right setting.

In addition, if the page can delay loading, or more specifically, suppress the page view when the page is at the right of the broswer, then that is acceptable as well.

BTW, are you a Vancouver Canuck fan? If so, BOL in the quest for Lord Stanley's Cup.

EDIT: Oops, I see you are from Edmonton, not Vancouver. So they may be a hated rival LOL. In any case, I'm a Duck fan so I was happy to see the Kings go down.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was able to reproduce your problem on Firefox and Safari. There are quite a few coding errors on the pages - both CSS and Javascript, which aren't being interpreted correctly.

I suggest you go to a W3C code validation site, run you code through it and correct the errors. Try this one... http://validator.w3.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

Thanks, arraknid. I actually copied the site, and corrected all the pages with the recommended changes.

However, with my relatively stripped down pages (no background images), I still coudn't get rid of the Adsense shift. If this would have gotten rid of the shift, I would have attempted to work with it, but it didn't do a thing. The page that didn't have the adsense didn't shift, and the pages that had the adsense all shifted.

So I really have to fix the AdSense shift from another angle. I am frankly baffled as to why I seem to have had the only problem with relationship with Adsense and HTML coding in history.

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I tried the page in Firefox and Safari on a mac. The shift only happened once for me, on Safari.

My initial guess is that it has something to do with the content slider javascript you are using on the page. It may be in conflict with the adsense js, or it may be creating a div that subsequently is hidden.

Try stripping all js out except for the adsense script and see if the problem recurs.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Try stripping all js out except for the adsense script and see if the problem recurs.
    If you click the second tab from the left, you will notice that the content slider works perfectly, and the page doesn't shift at all. That is because there is no adsense on the page.

Conversely, if you click the third tab from the left, you will notice that I left off the content slider, but included the adsense on the page. The page shifts. So the content slider cannot be doing anything here.

I have to conclude it is something in the adsense code that is triggering the Firefox shift. I do admit, though, the design for the webpage is about 7 years old, and may be outdated. That still doesn't explain the problem for the page shift, though.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have you corrected the error in line 145 of the Home Page code? It's creating an alignment problem, and adding an extra line of the green background under the tabs. The errant code is actually visible just under the Home Page tab. Try deleting the entire line.

That particular fix didn't work. So I decided to see if I could simplify the problem.

I actually took out everything but the basic tri-column table structure. The only two object I left in were the two AdSense ads, as well as the table cells to ensure they'd be lined up properly.

It still shifts.

Here is the link to the simplified site: AdSense Page Shift Test (simplified form)

I added a green background, so I can still see the shift.

To this end, there must be something in the AdSense code that forces this shift. Since that can't be changed or altered, there is no point in trying to troubleshoot this more.

I really appreciate everyone chiming in, and it was the cumulative recommendations that finally led me to the "aha!" moment and stripped the page of everthing but the minimal structure.

Great site, I'll be here more often!

I have the same exact problem. Driving me nuts.. Tried everything. help please! Thanks.