Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blue Screen & Quicktime

My system is a HP Pavillion dv6000 that I've had for almost 3 years. It runs pretty smoothly. The only major change to the system was that I swapped out the original 150 gb hard drive for a 500 gb one last summer.

Recently I've begun to experience problems when I try and watch movies in Quicktime. My preference is viewing video as AVI files but I bought a Cannon SD 780 and unfortunately for me, it shoots it's movies using Quicktime. (Incidentally had I known this I might not have bought the camera, as I edit a lot of my video clips using Windows Movie Maker and this has forced me to use a conversion program to get it from Quicktime to AVI.).

However I will occasionally click on a video in the Quicktime format, as I did tonight for example, and will, all of a sudden get a Blue Screen, and my system tells me it is performing a Memory Dump (at least I think that's what it said) and then I'm forced to re-start the computer.

I guess I'm curious to know if it's likely that Quicktime is causing the blue screen (unfortunately I forgot to snap a photo of the screen so I could refer to the exact message I received).

To correctly identify what the reason is as to why this bluescreen is appearing we would need the info from that screen.

It sounds like the bluescreen stays put intil you force a reeboot, and it happens everytime you try to use quicktime so it should be easy enough to recreate one more time.

What we need is the STOP: error message, and any reference to any files causing the error.

Most likely it is a Quicktime error though, so you may just wish to uninstall, reboot, then reinstall quicktime, and see if that solves the problem.

details here:
    How to uninstall

newest version download
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Just tried to "make it happen" and of course, no blue screen. lol. I should have mentioned that it doesn't happen "everytime" I use Quicktime.

Quick question, re; uninstall and re-install, what happens to my files, which are currently in Quicktime? Would they remain Quicktime files, just unable to be played on the computer until I had the proper program.

I did take a photo in early April of my last Blue Screen, which if memory serves me correctly was caused by this issue and here is the info;

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on this issue.

See if this helps,

Download/run BlueScreenView - Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.

Double-click the BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.

When scanning is done, go Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The error shown on the blue screen relates to a Norton core driver - probably Norton Internet Security. Try reinstalling both applications.

Alternatively, try another media player that supports .mov files. VLC is very good, and plays virtually anything. Set it as the default and avoid QT altogether.

I can't remember the last time I had QT installed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    See if this helps,

When scanning is done, go Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.
    Ok did that. Quick question. Do you want me to 'select all' in under Dump File or should I do it for Filename?? Only reason I'm asking is Dump File has 1 line, whereas Filename has many. Thanks.

Quick Update: I figured it was under Filename so I selected all, and saved it as BSOD.txt and opened it in Notepad. There are almost too many to count (which is a bit disconcerting).

My concern is it might be a bit much to post. Is there a way to condense it?

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    The error shown on the blue screen relates to a Norton core driver - probably Norton Internet Security. Try reinstalling both applications.

Alternatively, try another media player that supports .mov files. VLC is very good, and plays virtually anything. Set it as the default and avoid QT altogether.

I can't remember the last time I had QT installed.
    Ok thanks for the info. If I am using Windows Movie Maker, and have been editing my AVI files, will switching to VLC be an issue? Or I guess the question I should ask is, does WMM (which I know isn't a great editing program) recognize VLC files?

As well if I uninstall Quicktime (which I'd be happy to do), when I upload my video's taken with my new Canon, what format would they be recognized on my computer? Or is it that the type of file it produces doesn't change, only the mechanism for watching it (i.e. using VLC instead of Quicktime).

Blog Entries

VLC and QT, like Windows Media Player, are simply means of viewing media files. Changing that viewer has no effect on the software you use to edit or convert. The files from the Canon will remain in .mov format, will be viewable with VLC, and editable in WMM after conversion to .avi. All you are doing is replacing QT with VLC.

You don't need to uninstall QT, just change the default player. That way, whenever you click on a media file, VLC will open and play it.

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    VLC and QT, like Windows Media Player, are simply means of viewing media files. Changing that viewer has no effect on the software you use to edit or convert. The files from the Canon will remain in .mov format, will be viewable with VLC, and editable in WMM after conversion to .avi. All you are doing is replacing QT with VLC.

You don't need to uninstall QT, just change the default player. That way, whenever you click on a media file, VLC will open and play it.
    After having about 10 (literally) BSOD'd crashes while trying to watch video (on Quicktime) I had recently shot at my buddy's stag, I couldn't take it any longer. So I downloaded VLC and it seems to be working really well. I have one quick question though; when the video initially starts up using VLC, it gives the name of the video at the bottom of the screen, which fades away after a few seconds. When I converted to avi this went away but is there a way to turn this off when watching video's via VLC?

Blog Entries

Open VLC and under Tools click on Preferences. In the left-hand pane, select Subtitles and OSD. Uncheck the Enable OSD box, then Save.
    Last edited by arraknid; 05-10-2010 at 12:18 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast