Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default User Profile problem

When i log on in my computer, i see this message appearing when i choose the admin account in my computer which is the only account in my windows XP laptop.

the message is as follows:

"windows can not load the locally stored profile. Possible causes for this include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAILS: An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. the register could not read in, or write out, or flush one of the files that contain the systems image of the registry."

Followed by

"Windows can not find local profile and is logging on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off."

i am then logged on as a guest with only the recycle bin and opera browser icon appearing in my desktop.

I tried performing system restore, but it failed and made me choose another restore point but i didn't do it since i have a feeling it will just fail again.

any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
    Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Hi Majestic,

What disks do you have for your OS. This could be a corrupted file. Are you still running the XP OS?

You could try using the system file checker. But you will need an installation disk to proceed, not a recovery disk.

1. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). The press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

2. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

3. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

4. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

BleepingComputer.com > How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

Please keep us informed to your progress! Other members may also have information that may help as well.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try creating a new user account and see if you get the same problem when logging on.

sorry for the late reply. we just finished our elections in my country and being a legal consultant to a senator was really time consuming.

anyway,

@DonnaB

i'm still using the Old XP Os and sadly i don't have my installation disc with me. I need to go back to the countryside to retrieve it which is, sadly, not an option now.

@arraknid

i tried making a new account with the same administrator powers and after logging in, it still has the same problem.

However, there are times where i first log in at the new user account. which will still show the error box as i posted above. then log off and switch to my old user profile and be able to log on there without the error and with all the icons on the desktop present. this is not working 100% of time time but maybe around 4 times out of 5 tries.

by the method i discovered above, i think it is still possible o fix this without reinstalling windows or reformatting my drive.

any thoughts or advice?

note:
    originally i have only my User Profile as an administrator with guest account turned off

after the problem occurred and with sir arraknid's instructions i know have

My original User Profile still as an administrator
    New Profile with also administrator status
    Guest Profile still turned off

sorry for the late reply.
    No need to apologize Majestic.

Let's try this .

Go to > Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

or the easy way which is > Start > Run > type in CMD > and press Enter

Then,

Type or copy this into your command prompt window that comes up > chkdsk /r

Please note the space between chkdsk and /r.

If you get an error stating Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process, Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Let us know the results.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 05-11-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: add info
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Been away for awhile again due to cases and trials.

anyway, i tried doing what DonnaB told me to run and the result was that it first said that "Chkdsk cannot run because the

volume is in use by another process". I then followed the next step by scheduling the disk check.

It then replaced bad clusters, restarded and then scanned again for a total of three times. Afterwhich it now went to the windows start up and is working pretty fine now.

Thank you DonnaB! and thank you Help2Go !

You're welcome, Majestic! Glad we could get it to work out the easy way, and not have to worry about how to obtain your disks!

P.S. Love the comment in your signature, by the way!

My favorite Latin phrase is Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
    And for those who don't know what it means > To boldly go where no man has gone before.

Have a great day!
    Donna

Hi there. When chkdsk /r works to repair a problem it can often be a bad sign and your harddrive may be going bad. It's likely to get worse again soon.

Now that you have it working again it would be a good time to back up all your information just in case.

Here's a list of good online backup solutions: Best Free Online Backup Sites | The #1 bookmarked Freeware site

If you're up for it and want a permanent solution you should purchase a new harddrive and then transfer all the information off of this one to the new one to replace it inside your system. If your computer is a Desktop it should be as easy as plugging it into a secondary connector and using a disk cloning program off of a bootable CD. If your computer is a laptop it would typically require obtaining an external enclosure as most laptops only have room for a single harddrive.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NeonFx For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    You're welcome, Majestic! Glad we could get it to work out the easy way, and not have to worry about how to obtain your disks!

P.S. Love the comment in your signature, by the way!

My favorite Latin phrase is Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
    And for those who don't know what it means > To boldly go where no man has gone before.

Have a great day!
    Donna
    Thanks! I also love your favorite latin phrase. It has this certain hero feel with it

Quote Originally Posted by NeonFx View Post
    Hi there. When chkdsk /r works to repair a problem it can often be a bad sign and your harddrive may be going bad. It's likely to get worse again soon.

Now that you have it working again it would be a good time to back up all your information just in case.

Here's a list of good online backup solutions: Best Free Online Backup Sites | The #1 bookmarked Freeware site

If you're up for it and want a permanent solution you should purchase a new harddrive and then transfer all the information off of this one to the new one to replace it inside your system. If your computer is a Desktop it should be as easy as plugging it into a secondary connector and using a disk cloning program off of a bootable CD. If your computer is a laptop it would typically require obtaining an external enclosure as most laptops only have room for a single harddrive.
    I have a question. I am using a laptop and if ever the internal harddrive eventually dies out, will i be able to replace it? or do i have to replace the entire laptop?

The laptop hard drive is actually easier to replace than its desktop counterpart

Just make sure its the correct size (normally 2.5") and type (SATA or IDE (Or PATA as its also known)).

Give us the make and model number and we could possibly find you an online guide!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast