Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default losing internet connection

Hi
    I have xp installed, I use Ie 8 as my browser, we are experiencing a problem with internet connection, periodically it will just lose connection, in the past we have just had to disable then re-enable connection and the connection would be re-connected, but lately we get a diagnose message and are advised to re-boot system eveytime, hoping you can advise

Hi flloydee2,

How are you connected to the internet, via cable modem router, or DSL? Have your contacted your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see if they are having any issues?

but lately we get a diagnose message and are advised to re-boot system eveytime
    What message are you getting? And where's the message coming from, Windows?

Have you tried to right click on the little computers in the lower right of your screen and choose repair from there?

Keep us informed. Other members may respond as well!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Go to Add or Remove Programs and uninstall IE8. Be sure to have the Show updates option at the top selected. That'll revert your system to IE7. See if that makes a difference.

Default connection probs

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi flloydee2,

How are you connected to the internet, via cable modem router, or DSL? Have your contacted your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see if they are having any issues?

What message are you getting? And where's the message coming from, Windows?

Have you tried to right click on the little computers in the lower right of your screen and choose repair from there?

Keep us informed. Other members may respond as well!

Donna
    Thanks for your help Donna
    the message is coming from xp, I have tried repairing and dissabling then re-enabling etc but the only thing that seems to work is click repair then it comes up with a notice saying you are gpoing to have to restart you computer, when clicking ok it go's into a 30 second countdown, then does a full re-boot, I am connect via a ethernet cable direct hardwire

flloydee,

Several issues could cause this problem that you are having with your connection.

My first contact would be to my ISP to see if they are having issues.

If not them, I would try reverting back to IE7 as arraknid has suggested above. IE8 has been know to be problematic with XP. As arraknid stated, see if that makes a difference.

Let us know how that comes about. Then we'll look at other issues that may cause this.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Blog Entries

As recommended try IE7

Then if no luck try;

WinSock XP Fix

WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then give WinSock XP Fix a try. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use.
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-09-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Default losing connection

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    flloydee,

Several issues could cause this problem that you are having with your connection.

My first contact would be to my ISP to see if they are having issues.

If not them, I would try reverting back to IE7 as arraknid has suggested above. IE8 has been know to be problematic with XP. As arraknid stated, see if that makes a difference.

Let us know how that comes about. Then we'll look at other issues that may cause this.

Donna
    I'm not sure how you remove I8e cant see it clearly in add/remove programs and I'm alway's cautious about removing things as I have lost shared files in the past

Hi
    I found the Ie 8 in my add/remove programs but there was not an option to remove so I looked online and found this

Alternative steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003
    To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:
    Carefully select and then copy the following command:
    %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
    Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
    Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
    When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer

I followed this and it removed Ie 8 but I nearly had a heart attack as when clicking to go online there was nothing there ?, but on clicking on auto updates it asked me if I wanted to load IE8 or go custom install, I chose custom and in there was the option to install IE7 which I have now sucessfully installed and will see if my initial problem has been solved, thanks to everyone involved for their valued help and advice, hi5 to all keep up the good and much appreciated work

flloydee,

That's good to hear! I've never reverted back to IE7, so I'm assuming that why Arraknid added this > (Be sure to have the Show updates option at the top selected. That'll revert your system to IE7) to his post above.

Let us know if you have any more issues with your connection.

Donna

when you say be sure to show updates at the top selected, where is this, I have looked around but can't see it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast