Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Windows Xp Loads Slowly..

I am using windows xp and these days it cost a long time to load the windows. Every time I start my computer. About 4 minutes. I didn't install any software except Joy fax software on my computer these days. However, Joyfax Server works OK, and I am sure it doesn't have a virus.
    Can any one help??

Hi lili1,

Welcome to Help2Go!

Computers can seem to run slow for many reasons. There are no magic tricks to speed up a slow computer. One must try to determine the nature of the slowness and what factors are causing it. Is it always slow, or just sometimes? If sometimes, then when is the slowness noticed? Does it take forever for the computer to start up? Are there any error messages or other warnings?

If you are quite sure that you are not infected, please read this article here > Help! My computer is slow
    Follow the instructions that she provides to clean up your computer.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
    After you follow through with the instructions in the article above, post back and let us know how the computer is running then. Please add the Make and Model of your computer. If you are still experiencing a slow computer, one of our dedicated members would be more than happy to look into a "deeper cleansing", if necessary!

Thank you,
    Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

as DonnaB posted do the cleanup...it mentions RAM check in part one

Also;

A relatively cheap and great way to speed things up is to go to Crucial and check your ram capabilities
    (The Crucial System Scanner automatically analyzes your computer memory information and suggests an upgrade that's guaranteed compatible.)

RAM is cheaper these days and can make a computer seem like a newer model with just simple RAM addition
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi lili1,

Welcome to Help2Go!

Computers can seem to run slow for many reasons. There are no magic tricks to speed up a slow computer. One must try to determine the nature of the slowness and what factors are causing it. Is it always slow, or just sometimes? If sometimes, then when is the slowness noticed? Does it take forever for the computer to start up? Are there any error messages or other warnings?

If you are quite sure that you are not infected, please read this article here > Help! My computer is slow
    Follow the instructions that she provides to clean up your computer.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
    After you follow through with the instructions in the article above, post back and let us know how the computer is running then. Please add the Make and Model of your computer. If you are still experiencing a slow computer, one of our dedicated members would be more than happy to look into a "deeper cleansing", if necessary!

Thank you,
    Donna
    Thanks Donna.
    The CPU is Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU.
    The RAM is 0.99GB
    Do you think I need to add some RAM?

That amount may be what's slowing you down, depending on what is in your startups. What is the Make and Model of your computer?
    Last edited by DonnaB; 05-13-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: add info inadvertantly left out due to spontaneous response
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

XP does run on 1 gig quite well, 2 gigs will certainly help a lot. Also check on how many programs you have running in the background. Go to Start > Run > type in msconfig > OK . Startup tab. How many programs show up with a check mark next to them? Let us know and we'll see if we can streamline your startup.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    XP does run on 1 gig quite well, 2 gigs will certainly help a lot. Also check on how many programs you have running in the background. Go to Start > Run > type in msconfig > OK . Startup tab. How many programs show up with a check mark next to them? Let us know and we'll see if we can streamline your startup.
    how to insert pictures? I have cut a screenshot of the startup item

lili1,

How many programs are there? I usually use Photobucket to upload to from my desktop as an imaging host.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

The first step is to download HijackThis to your computer in a location that you know where to find it again. HijackThis can be downloaded from the following link:
    HijackThis Standalone Download Link

Start HJT and click 'do a system scan and save a log file'. The log file will open in notepad, copy and paste the log in your next post.We'll get back to you and advise on what can be removed.

Nvcpl; google talk; 360tray; igfxtray; hkcmd; RTHDCPL; ctfmon; 360sd; Googleupdate; IPMSG for win 32

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast