Default Sony Vaio USB controller problem

Hello. I've got a Sony Vaio PCG-K23 that I've recently installed XP Pro onto. It is a Pentium 4, 2.8GHz with 512mb of ram. I do not have the original sony disks w/ all of the drivers.

I've been on the Sony website downloading the drivers that I need. I think that I've been able to get most of the drivers, but when I go into device manager, there is a yellow question mark by "other devices" and below it "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" has an exclamation point.

I've tried googling this and havnt been able to get much info. I've used my flash drive on computer, so I know that the USB ports work. Is there something that I can do to correct this in device manager?? Or is there a way to scan the computer to make sure that all of the drivers are updated?? Thanks in advance.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do you have the main Universal Serial Bus Controllers header showing in the list? It'll have a + sign in front of it.

You don't say what Service Pack is installed, so try you could try installing SP2 or 3, whichever is relevant, as well as going to the Windows Update site.

A useful Freeware utility is Device Doctor which will scan your machine for just device drivers. Be sure to uncheck the optional toolbar when installing. Once scanned, you'll have the option to download any necessary drivers. Be sure to set a system restore point before installing.

It's also possible that what you see isn't actually a problem at all. I've seen lots of instances where errors are shown, but everything works fine. Try plugging something like a printer into each of the USB ports to see if all works OK.
    Last edited by arraknid; 05-15-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Yep, I do have the Universal Serial Bus Controllers heading in the Device Manager list. And I have used all 3 of the USB ports w/ my flash drive and they all seem to work fine. The XP Pro disk that I had was only SP1. But I wanted to try to get all the drivers, etc installed before updating to SP2 and then SP3. So I hadnt got to the point of doing Windows updates yet.

I'll try to Device Doctor and see what it shows me. Thanks.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just go straight to SP2 and see if that helps. You can deal with the rest later. Any updates you install will be included in the Service Packs. XP service packs are cumulative, so if you wish, you can go directly to SP3.

Ok, sounds good. Thanks.