Default "out of range"on hdtv connected to pc

i just hooked up a AOC L24H898 hdtv by vga 15pin to an Hp a1600 running windows xp service pack3. After the initial POST the screen then says "out of Range". You can here windows loading but you can't see it so i'm not able to get to a settings screen to possibly change the video settings. What do I need to do to get this thing going. I have hooked up other 24" monitors to this pc with no problem. Someone Please help. Aoc doesn't seem to have a phone # to call. Just email for support.

The out of range message most likely means your computers video settings are set to a range that your monitor cannot support/display. It could be the refresh rate or the resolution. You can boot into Safe Mode to change these settings.

1. Restart the computer, and while it is restarting, press F8 until the Startup menu appears to go into Safe Mode.
    2. Right click the desktop, click Properties, and then click Settings.
    3. Click Advanced, click Monitor and then change the refresh rate to a lower setting if possible. You may want to check the box that says Hide modes that this monitor cannot display.
    4. Click Ok click Ok again, and then restart the computer in Normal mode.

If this doesn't work, restart PC, F8 key to Startup menu, this time choose VGA Mode, then at desktop do the above steps. Lower the Refresh and Screen Resolution, Click Apply, then restart PC.