Question use DBAN but no floppy disk?

Hi! I'm getting my old Compaq lap top ready to donate but the software I'm finding to erase my hard drive all require a floppy disk.My lap top doesn't have a spot to insert a floppy disk so I'm kind of stuck. Does anyone know of any free disk erasers that don't? Or another way for me to get all of my private files deleted and unable to be retrieved? Thanks!!!

Hi notanotherxerox,

Welcome to Help2Go!

Have you tried to right click on the C: Drive and choose reformat? This will wipe the drive clean...no personal data, no OS, NOTHING! When you right click and choose reformat, it will warn you of this action to be taken!

Or, here's a link I found on DBAN that you can download! But I have to clarify that I have never used it myself! So please read thoroughly before attempting!
    Darik's Boot and Nuke for CD and DVD - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

I prefer Eraser because it uses DBAN technology, but with a Windows front end.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your help! Yeah I originally tried to reformat my C drive but it says it can't be completed. I have no idea why. I got the Eraser software to work. Thanks so much for both of your help!!!!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

tried to reformat my C drive but it says it can't be completed. I have no idea why.
    You can't expect Windows to destroy itself, which is what formatting C: drive would do if you choose Windows to do it. It can only be done when Windows isn't loaded.

notanotherxerox,

arraknid is correct! I do apologize for the misconception.

Thanks arraknid for clarifying that for me! I have erased many Secondary Drives this way, though never experimented with "THE" hard drive in this fashion. I should not have assumed. I now see that function choice is for External, Secondaries, USB's, etc. If I am incorrect, please set me straight!

And MrDarn...thank you for bringing this to my attention so discreetly!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"