first off my system.
    xfx nvidia 780i socket 775 mobo
    intel Q9300
    8Gb corsair xms 800mhz memory
    DualEVGA nvidia 9800GTX+ in SLI
    850Watts PSU
    seagate 500Gb 7200.11 (not in RAID)
    seagate 750Gb 7200.12 (not in RAID)

to describe my initial problem was that my computer froze and being the impatient person i am i hard shut down and figured since i had had it one for may many days it was just windows being stupid. when i went to reboot it failed to load windows giving me the "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" so i just figured it couldnt read the HDD so i restarted again to get the same answer. i then started thinking one of my disks was bad so i unplugged one and rebooted, no change, then the other, no change. so i thought it might be some bad RAM sending a false HDD error i unplugged all my RAM minus one stick then cycled through all of the memory then cycled through all the slot to no avail. i then unplugged my wireless card, second graphics card, cd drive and one HDD. still nothing. so now im running off of one stick of RAM, one graphics card and one HDD to make things simple plus plugged the cd drive back in. with no other options i dug out my windows 7 ultimate disk and went into the repair section where my OS wasnt found so i continued anyway. opened CMD and looked around at my disk. i listed out the disks connected (only one) and then listed partitions so i selected my primary partition to be my selected partition. i then ran chkdsk thinking it could be a bad boot sector. chkdsk /F c: which returned fixed errors. i then ran it again to make sure it came out clean and it did. i tried booting normally and that stilll didnt work. getting really frustrated at this point i shut down and took the coincell out of my Mobo to clear the BIOS. still nothing, ran chkdsk again and it was fine.

now i switched out to my older HDD that works fine i just dont use it because it has winXP. that isnt even recognized. so i opened up the windows repair module (for win 7) and went back to CMD and it says there are no HDDs. so back to the old one.

i opened CMD again and poked around and it said the disk wasnt active, so i made it active and that made my problem 10X worse. when it goes to boot from HDD now it says "NTLDR is missing press ctrl+ALt+del to restart". i changed my boot priority to boot from CD so i can get back into repairing windows and cmd to change back what i did. so now windows says it's booting and gives me the wait/working circle thing windows has then when its done i now have a windows themed background and nothing else. i feel as though i am in a very bad place.

i never changed or added and hardware or devices before this happening although i did activate my wireless card a little before the epic crash. My mobo displays "FF" which means everything is fine on that end. thanks for even reading this entire post

-Andrew

Sounds like you've covered the main bases there.

Have you tried removing all non essential cards? i know you removed the wireless card and graphics card, but what about sound etc too?

Next would be the cable from the MoBo to the harddrive.

After that, try a different power lead to the harddrive from the Power Supply, just in case thats the issue.

After that a Power supply test is on the cards, if it were my machine.

I'm sure other suggestions will present themselves.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Member Help2Go Moderator

I'd attribute this to either an incorrect BIOS setting or your file system has been corrupted. If you know how to boot from your Windows 7 media to do a startup repair I would do that again but instead of doing the repair run the option to open a command prompt and do a chkdsk on the C: drive or whatever your system drive is.

Also, did you happen to change any settings in the BIOS pertaining to your hard disks especially disabling a SATA controller? Since the computer is now at least attempting to boot I would guess that this isn't the problem but it's worth a look. Do a chkdsk and see how that goes.
    Last edited by PartieHonteuse; 01-19-2012 at 03:01 PM.

not any of the cables, although a good thought. im about to test the other graphics card (no sound card, yet). it is just so strange it goes from running perfect then crash and catastrophic failure, very odd. thanks for the advice

Thats the way it goes sometimes with hardware faults though!

Please return and let us know the answer if you get it sorted
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

today is a strange day, i decided to play around more with some boot files. i opened up the startup repair menu from the disk because i kept getting the NTLDR is missing error. now i was even getting this error when i had my XP HDD unplugged. now windows 7 doesnt use NTLDR apparently so i was super super confused. i ran chkdsk again and then went back to my diskpart menu and made my C: inactive then active again. i ran startup repair and it gave me this:
    PROBLEM SIGNATURE 01:6.1.7600.16385
    " " 02:6.1.7600.16385
    " " 03:UNKOWN
    " " 04:-1
    " " 05;EXTERNAL MEDIA
    " " 06:1
    " " 07:CORRUPTBOOTSECTORCODE
    OS VERSION: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    LOCALE ID: 1033

which said it didnt know what the hell was wrong. i exited and rebooted, and ran a startup repair and it said it founds errors and then rebooted. after it rebooted it ran my scheduled memory check (my memory's fine). now that means my OS ran on its own. i rebooted again and would you know it it started up. Now im convinced my computer was just really confused as to which HDD to boot and something happened when my HDD got hard restarted corrupting my boot files on both drives and making my main OS inactive. Really weird, i'll keep adding my stuff back in and keep you updated as to how that goes and i'll keep looking into the problem. problem not yet solved. so weird though.
    Last edited by PartieHonteuse; 01-19-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Blog Entries

I had a similar problem with Win7 Home Premium on a new computer 2 months old @ the time

I had an HDMI cable video card connection and changed to a DVI cable all is well now

I had created an image on an external HDD and did a re-image

Note/Warning: I highly recommend using the image feature in Win7 ...plus a regular backup using Win7 feature too....you need to do it on a separate HDD

HDMI cables have a sound feature plus video and DVI is strictly video

I am under warranty and am getting a new video card...but plan to stick to a DVI cable

It may not be your cable if you do not use HDMI but seems like a video card could cause the same issues...hope you are under warranty ...have the dealer take a look @ your computer...you are looking at more future problems (IE; HDD etc)...make it good with the warranty now
    =======================
    It may not be but;
    I wonder if your video card is bad, from your description. Is your computer still under warranty?

I suggest a system restore to get to a point before the troubles.
    (You said start up repair ,,,if that was a win repair forget the restore...it will not be available)

You may also try a hard drive test. HD Diagnostic

Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using ISO Recorder.
    (You can use any ISO burner program CDBurnerXP is another free program)
    Boot from the CD, and run at least 5 passes.
    Last edited by PartieHonteuse; 01-19-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try repairing the Master Boot Record using Bootrec.exe. This will show you how, as well as suggesting other options.