Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Message from Microsoft,Windws 7 not valid

DonnaB advised me to post this problem for some advice.
    My daughter bought a second hand laptop from what we thought was a reputable second hand shop.
    Its an HP Laptop with Windows 7,she didnt get any discs with it and it cost her£250 2 and a half months ago.
    3 days ago Microsoft have began telling her that Windows 7 is not valid.i ran a Malwarebytes/Antimalware scan,it said there was 72 items needing fixed, i deleted them and thats ok now but Microsoft still say its not valid and it need a valid key,which we dont have.
    The shop is quite far away from us so my husband phoned and the guys answermachine says he is closed until 4th June would it take this long for Microsoft to tell her that Windows7 is not valid or has she been conned.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    elaine

What is the full error or message you are seeing as displayed on screen?

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

Hi
    Il just go get her laptop and check

It says in the very bottom right hand corner
    Windows 7
    Build 7600
    This copy of windows is not genuine

There is normally a window pops up as well,but its not doing it at the moment
    elaine

The window came up it says
    Windows is not genuine
    your computer may be running a counterfeit copy of Windows
    get genuine now
    ask me later

0xc004f200 this is numbers at the very bottom

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

When win7 did an update, it probably did a check on her key. I know on other versions (XP & Vista) there were false readings and the solution was to contact Microsoft who would correct the problem (or confirm it being a pirated copy). I would suggest waiting for the shop to open and give them an opportunity to correct the problem. If they were a reputable company, they should have installed at least an OEM version of 7. If you do not get satisfaction, contact Microsoft and report them. You will then probably have to purchase a new copy of 7 (MS may allow you to purchase at the upgrade price as opposed to the full retail price). Good luck, keep us posted.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

Thanx
    If they were a reputable company, they should have installed at least an OEM version of 7.
    Whats does OEM mean?
    elaine

Blog Entries

An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, manufactures products or components that are purchased by a company and retailed under the purchasing company's name ...for example HP buys a MS Win7 License and sells it to you as an HP computer ( WIN7 is sold to HP and not directly to you)

OEM refers to the company that originally manufactured the product.

In your case the store where you purchased it is the OEM that should have paid MS for the WIN7 OEM License or validated it from HP if they did the install or made any repairs...They are normally MS certified and responsible for repairs/licenses etc

There is nothing wrong with OEM...but you need to purchase a product first...then you get the license from the OEM...making it specific to the OEM manufacturer not to an individual end-user

It is a cheap way to get Win7 as part of the HP package...but restricts the license as well to the specific OEM

You can buy computers more cheaply as an OEM...a single license for Win7 costs more than via an OEM purchase that may come with many other additional OEM components and software already included

At times some prefer to buy a single license if they have a new model computer and simple want to upgrade...but that is the exception in most cases

Like trying to buy a car part by part...much cheaper to purchase the car already assembled
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-29-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added text
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thanx abseh1
    I understand.
    I dont really know anything about the cost of computers,but i thought if she paid 250 pounds for a second hand computer,it should at least have a valid licence.She is a student and is worried she will now have to pay what Microsoft are asking (168 pounds) Sounds like a rip off to me.For 418 pounds she could nearly buy a new computer! Or am i way off with my ideas of prices?
    elaine

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are occasions when genuine copies of Windows show as 'not legal'. To be absolutely sure, go here and click on Validate on left side of page. Agree to the download and click on Run (not Save). Once completed, click on the Continue button at the base of the page.

If it fails, under British consumer protection laws, your retailer has broken the law by selling you pirated software. Your first call should be to the retailer telling him you'll be contacting the local Trading Standards Department. If you get no joy, do exactly that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast